Slotting Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
NEC allows slotting between individual holes to minimize inductive heating....

300.20 Induced Currents in Ferrous Metal Enclosures or
Ferrous Metal Raceways.(B) Individual Conductors. Where a single conductor carrying alternating current passes through metal with magnetic properties, the inductive effect shall be minimized by
(1) cutting slots in the metal between the individual holes through which the individual conductors pass or

Has anyone ever done this?
Is it a listing issue with the enclosure to cut slots
And the slots make the enclosure "open", could be a safety issue?

The other option is
(2) passing all the conductors thru an insulating wall

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Ferrous Metal Raceways.(B) Individual Conductors. Where a single conductor carrying alternating current passes through metal with magnetic properties, the inductive effect shall be minimized by
(1) cutting slots in the metal between the individual holes through which the individual conductors pass or

The other option is

For the few times I've needed to do this I prefer to use a square or rectangle aluminum plate bolted on the 4 corners over a cutout in the enclosure. Then use a KO punch in the plate as needed. To me it is easier and you don't end up with structural integrity issues.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
For the few times I've needed to do this I prefer to use a square or rectangle aluminum plate bolted on the 4 corners over a cutout in the enclosure. Then use a KO punch in the plate as needed. To me it is easier and you don't end up with structural integrity issues.

Man,
That's good thinking.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You could also use brass or stainless for the plate if appropriate. But for really high current you might need a non ferrous cable clamp too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The other option is

Do you have an example of where you would use these slots?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you ran only 2 legs of a 3-phase system into an enclosure? Don't know why you would, but anything that can happen, will happen.

I'm trying to envision where this would be applicable I'm sure that Tom has a particular installation in mind. Several non-ferrous raceways might be one application but then you would still need non-ferrous locknuts.

kwired

Electron manager
If you ran only 2 legs of a 3-phase system into an enclosure? Don't know why you would, but anything that can happen, will happen.
two legs of a three phase system would still be carrying equal current but with opposing magnetic fields. We do this all the time with say a 208 volt single phase branch circuit.

When you would need the slots is if you ran one circuit conductor through one hole in the enclosure and the other circuit conductor through another hole. You then would have inductive heating effects on the surrounding ferrous metal.

Cut a slot between the two holes and you effectively make them one hole and both conductors are now in that hole.

About the only time you would run into needing to do this is with single conductor cables of some sort.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
two legs of a three phase system would still be carrying equal current but with opposing magnetic fields. We do this all the time with say a 208 volt single phase branch circuit.

When you would need the slots is if you ran one circuit conductor through one hole in the enclosure and the other circuit conductor through another hole. You then would have inductive heating effects on the surrounding ferrous metal.

Cut a slot between the two holes and you effectively make them one hole and both conductors are now in that hole.

About the only time you would run into needing to do this is with single conductor cables of some sort.
When you run two out of three phases the fields for line-neutral loads are 120 degrees out of phase, and so their magnetic fields do not cancel. But the field from the neutral will add to cancel.
It is correct but not necessarily obvious that line-line load currents will cancel even though the voltages are not 180 degrees out of phase.

kwired

Electron manager
When you run two out of three phases the fields for line-neutral loads are 120 degrees out of phase, and so their magnetic fields do not cancel. But the field from the neutral will add to cancel.
It is correct but not necessarily obvious that line-line load currents will cancel even though the voltages are not 180 degrees out of phase.

120 degree phase difference is when referencing to the neutral.

If you are not referencing the neutral you still have 180 angle between the two points involved don't you?

Only reference to neutral that would involve current flow on a 208 volt two wire load would be during ground fault conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.