hypress die question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i have 600 mcm compact AL conductors. i have a 600 mcm burndy U36R U die and i plan on using the Y39 hypress. will this die be the correct one for AL compact conductors? i think the lug were going to use is the ilsco 2IACL-600

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that die the correct one for the lug you're using? You may need to check with Ilsco for that information.

We typically size the lug to the conductor and the die to the lug. But I'm betting that you already know that. :wink:

electricalperson

Is that die the correct one for the lug you're using? You may need to check with Ilsco for that information.

We typically size the lug to the conductor and the die to the lug. But I'm betting that you already know that. :wink:

well i dont have any index dies. the die says 600 mcm on it and im just wondering if that can be used for that type of lug. if i had a set of the burndy index dies i wont have a problem.

electricalperson

i cant find any information for the burndy U36R die. all i can find is U36RT. i dont really know what the difference is between the 2. maybe they are the same just changedp art numbers over the years. anybody know?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We have the same problem at our shop. We use an Anderson crimper(at least that's what they call it) but none of the color coded dies match up to the lugs we buy. We end up grabbing the die that looks about right and then crimping it, then changing dies if need be.:roll:

I bought a Burndy MRC840 off Ebay for about a $100, this thing is the cats meow as far as I'm concerned. #8 all the way up to 4/0 Cu, it'll do 4/0 AL in a pinch, you just don't close the handles all the way.

electricalperson

We have the same problem at our shop. We use an Anderson crimper(at least that's what they call it) but none of the color coded dies match up to the lugs we buy. We end up grabbing the die that looks about right and then crimping it, then changing dies if need be.:roll:

I bought a Burndy MRC840 off Ebay for about a $100, this thing is the cats meow as far as I'm concerned. #8 all the way up to 4/0 Cu, it'll do 4/0 AL in a pinch, you just don't close the handles all the way.

i think the 600 mcm die will work. i will bring it to work tommorw and see what happens. i mean if it crimps it strongly with 12 tons of force does it really matter if the die has to be color coded? i used many different tools on these lugs and never had a problem before.

i bought the burndy y39 hypress on ebay for 200 bucks and it came with 9 dies! the case is beat up and says "hydrolic crimp" on the cover but the tool is in beautiful shape

electricalperson

You stole that thing for that price! It's a $2500 crimper!:cool:

thats what i thought. the guy who sold it on ebay was a pawn shop. a failing EC might of pawned it off for money or somebody stole it and pawned it off. i cant imagine the guy who sold it to that store got a whole lot of money.

i just wish the case was in better shape. i might sand it and paint it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
i think the 600 mcm die will work. i will bring it to work tommorw and see what happens. i mean if it crimps it strongly with 12 tons of force does it really matter if the die has to be color coded? i used many different tools on these lugs and never had a problem before.
The physical size of the die is what makes the correct crimp. If the die is too big or too small it will not provide the proper compression of the lug and may result in a poor connection. I would not expect a die for standard 600 kcmil wire to work correctly with a 600 kcmil compact stand conductor. This issue is why I prefer a dieless crimper.

electricalperson

The physical size of the die is what makes the correct crimp. If the die is too big or too small it will not provide the proper compression of the lug and may result in a poor connection. I would not expect a die for standard 600 kcmil wire to work correctly with a 600 kcmil compact stand conductor. This issue is why I prefer a dieless crimper.

im going to agree with you on this right now. the die didnt work it didnt fit the lug. the power company had to do it for us since we couldnt get a die or hypress. nstar electric uses the dieless crimper. what one do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.