Grounding Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrobe

We have an outside metal tank that has a 110V, 20A circuit feeding the tank heater. Does the tank need to have a separate ground conductor ran from the plant ground-grid to the tank or can the the ground conductor ran with the power be used to bond to the tank?? The ground-grid is bare 4/0.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the ground wire you are running with it is adequate, short of some information you have left out.

is there by any chance metal water piping involved?

Last edited:

Electrobe

I think the ground wire you are running with it is adequate, short of some information you have left out.

is there by any chance metal water piping involved?

I think the piping going to the tank is metal. Could I use the piping as the grounding conductor? Assuming it is grounded correctly.

Any other info I left out?

Thanks

Refer to 240.118, yes you can use the pipe as your ground path provided it meets all the requirements. (EMT, IMC, RMC, and no more than 6 feet of flex in the path). If it has the green wire, directly to the metal box using a green screw is adaquate.

Electrobe

Is there other codes that require this tank to be grounded to the plant ground grid since it is located outside (maybe for lightning, static, or potential equalizing)? Many of the other tanks in the plant are connected to the ground-grid with a 4/0 bare conductor.

Is so, how do you determine the size of the ground conductor??

Thanks

erickench

If the connecting pipe were a water pipe it can be used as a grounding electrode if it's in contact with the earth for a minimum of 10 feet. It is also a part that is likely to become energized so you would have to bond it. It must be connected to the other grounding electrodes i.e. structure etc. This could provide and fault current return path back to the service. If it's a gas pipe then you cannot bond it.

Status
Not open for further replies.