14/3 to attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

I'm not buying that. The neutral lead on the AFCI's goes to the neutral bus in the panel.

they have to be seperate. if you ground the neutral coming out of an AFCI, it trips. This proves it does something with the neutral that passes through it.

iwire

Staff member
Seriously (Hey, it could happen!), if you've gotta divide an area's supply into more than one circuit, why not do it that way?

You have 3 lighting outlets a fan outlet, 10 receptacle outlets and 2 - 15 amp circuits to supply them ........... to me dividing it by type is poor design.

All I am saying is I hate 'I always do it that way' reasons, decide based on the specific conditions.:smile:

That said, I have no doubt your customers are happy with your work.:cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You have 3 lighting outlets a fan outlet, 10 receptacle outlets and 2 - 15 amp circuits to supply them ........... to me dividing it by type is poor design.
Okay, let's say you have six recessed lights and two ceiling fans.

All I am saying is I hate 'I always do it that way' reasons, decide based on the specific conditions.:smile:
Well, of course. I always globalize. :wink: I never say always or never.

Naturally, there are exceptions to generalizations, even mine. :cool:

That said, I have no doubt your customers are happy with your work.:cool:
Always! :D

Last edited:

wasasparky

they have to be seperate. if you ground the neutral coming out of an AFCI, it trips. This proves it does something with the neutral that passes through it.

I would assume that two separate AFCI's cannot share a neutral for the same reason as two GFCI's cannot.

With a 14/3, you would use a 2-pole AFCI designed to share the neutral...

iwire

Staff member
With a 14/3, you would use a 2-pole AFCI designed to share the neutral...

Yes we would if one was available that meets the 2008 NEC requirements. :smile:

As of today no one makes one, that was why the suggestion was put out to use the 14/3 as a feeder to a two circuit sub panel equipped with two single pole AFCIs and run two 2-wire cables from there.

wasasparky

Yes we would if one was available that meets the 2008 NEC requirements. :smile:

As of today no one makes one, that was why the suggestion was put out to use the 14/3 as a feeder to a two circuit sub panel equipped with two single pole AFCIs and run two 2-wire cables from there.

Oops, thought someone said there was (but not combinationtype...)

Status
Not open for further replies.