We are worth it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
well let me head over there !! lol be close to the white house and make that money like the government.

$70k is no doubt good money; but I don't think you realize how far that does not go in DC.

I've been around the area, and even have customers there (who have a place down here), and the cost of living is jaw-dropping.

brian john

$70k is no doubt good money; but I don't think you realize how far that does not go in DC.

I've been around the area, and even have customers there (who have a place down here), and the cost of living is jaw-dropping.

And hence the term LEARNING TO LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

I have electricians (several) that have stay at home wives with children, 2 cars, own (or paying for) a house, take regular vacations and saving money for a rainy day.

In addition to the 70k a truck and fuel, plus a H&W.

ArcNSpark

Washington DC, the scale and wages go up as you head north, though at this time the available work goes down. Also remember we do A fair amount of OT.

Not necessarily. Here in RI, only successful shop owners or union journeymen (those who are still working, at least) are in that pay grade.

brian john

Not necessarily. Here in RI, only successful shop owners or union journeymen (those who are still working, at least) are in that pay grade.

I was quoting union men's pay.

Our trade shouldn't be as dangerous as it is. It's the companies and the people running jobs that are promoting unsafe work practices because it's faster and saves money.

Unsafe practices may be promoted by some companies BUT the workers are the one's doing this work. In the end you are responsible for your safety.

iwire

Staff member
Washington DC, the scale and wages go up as you head north, though at this time the available work goes down. Also remember we do A fair amount of OT.

ArcNSpark said:

brian john said:
I was quoting union men's pay.

Union or not you will not find RI wages that attractive.

Go further north into NH, VT, ME and the wages drop further still ..... union or not.

norcal

That's why we have inspectors.

This is not slamming good inspectors out there,for the many good ones out there I salute you, just if they are useless as they are here in the People's Republic of Xxxxx, one is better off without them.

ericsherman37

I always say - if the tile setter screws up, your kitchen counter looks bad. If the electrician screws up, your kitchen counter is energized. Hence our training and licensing requirements, and what I believe needs to be worthy compensation.

In my view, the political climate of the last few decades has been vastly in favor of big business over small business and workers. This is kind of a paradigm shift over the days of yore, and in my opinion we are suffering because of it. It's kind of rough when the people that build (and wire) America can't afford to live there without two working household members and consumer credit.

tshea

Here's the real problem:
GC--ABC Electric said he can do it for $xxxx. Can you do it for $xxxx-x?
EC--No problem!

OUR problem is we are own worst enemy!

When we were billing at $75/hr, one of my employees quit and went out on his own. he bragged about working for $50/hr. In fact part of his sales speech was that he could do the same or more for less.

No kidding! No overhead, no customers, NO business sense (skill).

He's no longer in business. He works for a competitor.

I'm seeing this more and more with the down economy. Hacks working for substandard rates, trying to get in the door at all costs.

Part 2 of the problem is the big box stores selling everything from switches to meter sockets. Time-Life books that "teach" you how to wire up your house.

Personally I like these ID 10Ts! They are my bread and butter.

Call me now or call me after the fire; you will call me!

Status
Not open for further replies.