Bonding of new pool equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike n

I have been asked to bond the brass mounting fittings for a pool starting block.
The block is made of plastic.This is a new install in a 30 year old school pool. The deck is concrete.The fitting is 3.5'' x7'' deep (into slab).The starting blocks are the kind swimmers dive from when racing. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Cavie

I have been asked to bond the brass mounting fittings for a pool starting block.
The block is made of plastic.This is a new install in a 30 year old school pool. The deck is concrete.The fitting is 3.5'' x7'' deep (into slab).The starting blocks are the kind swimmers dive from when racing. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

If the fittings are new install, break out the concrete saw. Connect the fittings Bond lug on the pool pump.

mthead

Bonding of new pool equipment

The code reference in regards to bonding metallic items within a certain distance of the waters edge or level of a pool[ this rule does not say these items must be part of the electrical equipment of a pool-this is about bonding ,not grounding] gives you an indication as to what will qualify as a ,shall we say "Bondable Item"[the term in qoutes is not something found in code-it is just a phrase used here for explanation purposes].
in 2005nec it is 680.26[3] that gives you the answer-I don't think this particular reference was altered in 2008.
I indicates what would be qualifies as a 'Metal fitting" by size[if it as big or larger than the size referenced in the code] and by distance from the waters edge-not the pool edge-the waters edge-rest assured that there is a reason that has been specified.
"A part that is not more than 4inches[100mm]in any dimension AND does not penetrate into tthe pool structure more than 1inch[25mm] shall NOT require bonding.
Laying that out in real life terms-reverse speak if you will -indicates that if an item falls in that notorious pool bonding grid zone-and that item is larger than the 4"x4" description it should be bonded.
Before everyone begins to lose their mind here lets remember that whis statement is actually nothing new-it is why we bond the cups that hold the metal steps which are installed only during pool use time..,it is why we bond the U shaped sections that support a diving board ...,and it is in this instance why you would bond the brass underpinnings [which are more than the equivalent of ladder cups ] that will support the rubber staring footing for the swimmers to begin their race.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
you probably need only bond the starting blocks to the rebar of the cement that you are mounting it to.(after you test the exposed rebar is electrically continuous to the "pool pump motor"
IMHO that would not meet the requirement of 680.26.
(B) Bonded Parts. The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(7) shall be bonded together using solid copper conductors, insulated covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or with rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
one of is wrong and considering the two folks involved, I'd bet it was me :smile:

vinster888

i believe mike holts diagram is drawn for clarity not as a how to. i would think that on an existing install bonding to electrically conductive steel should do fine. as long as you shoot the joint with green paint. haha on the paint

Status
Not open for further replies.