• No, always take it off

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • N/A, not married

Votes: 24 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

I have been injured by rings twice in my life.

The first time cost me my class ring. It decided to complete the connection between the frame of the car I was working on and the wrench I was using to tighten up the positive battery terminal.

Years later I had an incident where I managed to get in front of a moving car. When I rolled off the hood I scraped my hands on the pavement causing the rings on my hand to become lodged in my fingers. I had to cut two of them off. (Rings, not fingers)

That was enough to get me out of the habit of sticking my fingers into tight fitting metal loops for any reason.
Dude! Sounds like the rings were a small part of the problems.

Glad you survived the run-in with the car. That could have went south in so many ways.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Dude! Sounds like the rings were a small part of the problems.

Glad you survived the run-in with the car. That could have went south in so many ways.

Thanks for your kind words...that made me chuckle....

The vehicle in question did go south. Southbound Whitehall Road, as a matter of fact. :grin: I did get the plate #. Vehicle was stolen.

I put myself in harm's way on that one. I was chasing a couple guys that just got caught shoplifting and they bolted out the door with the goods, got in the car and decided that the way out was right where I was standing.

Ahh, the good ol' days.....(I think I was about 20 when it happened)

The silver lining is that every time I even think about wearing jewelery, I think about that day. I have spent most of my career working on or around machinery of some sort and have a lot of scar tissue on my hands and fingers to prove it. Most likely some of those scars could have been much worse if I was wearing a ring.

I seldom even wear a watch. Especially with today's cell phones. I had one watch I would wear that had a plastic band that came off easily due to the hinge pins being old and bent. There were several occasions I was glad that was the case. I finally wore the watch out and now I remove one if I have one when I am working.

e57

Yes I do, but if I posted the image, it would get deleted, and for good reason. At least this way, you have a chance to see it, and you had been warned.

Some folks don't take to well to seeing the insides of the human body. To quote Radar O'Reily, "It makes me woozy."
At one point in life I was an EMT - not that EMT, but the one who picks up peices of your face off the road - in case you live and want to pay for them to be put back on...... That was day one on the job, I did it for a year, and realized it was not for me. About that picture though - note that it is NOT bleeding.....

Anyway, I wear my ring a lot, but take it off in many cases when working live (another topic), or with certain tools.

LittleD

I don't wear any of my jewelry to work. No rings, earrings, watch/braceletts necklace, nada! I won't even put a bobby pin in my hair!

#1 aware of the hazzards
#2 don't want to lose or damage them
#3 if it slips off, you never know where it will land & what damage it could do

ericsherman37

My wedding ring is at the bottom of the Caribbean somewhere. Lost it snorkeling on the honeymoon. Whoops.

I suggested just buying a fender washer or a hose clamp as an interim replacement but she said no and made me go buy a brand new one. It never goes to work with me, I don't want my finger to get ripped off. She's fine with that because she doesn't want my finger to get ripped off either. It's the first thing that I put on when I get home though.

I do have stainless earrings (actually they're plugs - no dangly stuff) that I wear at work but I'm not worried about running my head into a hot bus. If that happened I'd have bigger problems.

daleuger

Not married never have been, but all I wear is a wristwatch and I'm pretty good about taking that off most of the time if I'm going to work something hot.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Have never worn my wedding ring. Keep it on my key chain.

My old boss tells the story of tightening up a bank of -48v telcom batteries and making contact between his ring, the wrench and a battery terminal. The story is the ring vaporized. I didn't see it but I have seen the neat circular scar around his ring finger many times.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I never wear mine at all now, even when not working on electrical. several years ago I was coming down an extension ladder, and it caught on a rung, tearing a nice gash across my finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.