Type TC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My supplier seems to be stocking a 4/3 with ground TC nonmetallic cable. They say it can be used the same as NM in a dwelling.

Is this true? Anyone have experience with this stuff?

resistance

This is what I found on it:
Type TC tray cable is permitted for use on power, lighting, control, and signal circuits; indoors or outdoors; in cable trays, raceways, direct burial in the ground, or where supported in outdoor locations by a messenger wire; for Class 1 circuits as permitted in Article 725 of the NEC; and in cable trays in Class I, Division 2 hazardous locations in industrial establishments where the conditions of maintenance and supervision assure that only qualified persons will service the installation. Not recommended for dc operation in wet locations

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is what I found on it:
Type TC tray cable is permitted for use on power, lighting, control, and signal circuits; indoors or outdoors; in cable trays, raceways, direct burial in the ground, or where supported in outdoor locations by a messenger wire; for Class 1 circuits as permitted in Article 725 of the NEC; and in cable trays in Class I, Division 2 hazardous locations in industrial establishments where the conditions of maintenance and supervision assure that only qualified persons will service the installation. Not recommended for dc operation in wet locations

Thanks but I read that also and it appears to allow it just not certain. What type of wire is in it and would it then be held to the 60C rating on NM?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks but I read that also and it appears to allow it just not certain. What type of wire is in it and would it then be held to the 60C rating on NM?

I think 'Uses Not Permitted' is the killer for typical NM-type installations. 336.12 (2) prohibits installation outside a raceway or cable tray, except in industrial establishments where the conditions of maintenance and supervision...

cpal

336.12 Uses Not Permitted.

(2) Installed outside a raceway or cable tray system, except as permitted in 336.10

Are you talking about cable listed and marked Type TC???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
336.12 Uses Not Permitted.

(2) Installed outside a raceway or cable tray system, except as permitted in 336.10

Are you talking about cable listed and marked Type TC???

Apparently this cable is Type TC

Edit: This stuff is also listed for Direct Burial.

Last edited:

cpal

Dennis I'm confused
If this stuff is Tray Cable it is restricted to cable tray or raceway with a few obtw's.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis I'm confused
That makes two of us. :D

I questioned the suppliers and they insist it is okay to be used as nm cable is used. I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it. I am going to argue this with them. Apparently their wire supplier is telling them it is okay-- It looks very similar to NM Cable- unfortunately they were out of it so I didn't get a chance to see it.

I want to stop this before it goes too far.

Sonny Boy

email from Southwire about TC

email from Southwire about TC

I sent them an email asking if TC is allowed in residential applications and this is their answer:

"It isn't allowed in residential applications."
Paul White
Southwire

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I sent them an email asking if TC is allowed in residential applications and this is their answer:

"It isn't allowed in residential applications."
Paul White
Southwire

Yes I confronted them today on it and they called their supplier and he said he would check into it. I already told them it is a no go however the interesting thing is that the TC is far more durable then the NM so why can't you use it there? I realize the code does not allow it but it is fire rated, etc. It doesn't make sense. They apparently occasionally get it instead of 4/3 NM because they have to buy a 500 foot real of it. Times are tough so they won't stock it. I thought they were stocking the TC but they would just get it as you need because they will cut it to size for you. It doesn't cost that much more than the NM-- odd again.

I will be interested in what they will come up with unless this wire is a dual rated wire I can't see it being legal.

Apparently they have sold it to others for resi work. :mad:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Dennis,

I questioned the suppliers and they insist it is okay to be used as nm cable is used.

They are suppliers, not JOURNEYMAN! It is not their license, or responsibility to protect the community - it's yours as a master, and/or journeyman. how many hours did it take to qualify to work the counter?

I'd go with the Southwire representative. I don't know what the smoke rating, or any other particulars on are on the wire,but I know if anything ever happens if a case goes to court, and it's a house wired with TC, I know who will lose before it starts.

Now becareful before they get you for blasphemy here in the forum.

quogueelectric

I have been using it a lot since 1998 mostly for direct burial cable for trailer and job modular offices. I always enjoyed pulling out the old feeders with my truck when the trailers were removed to use on a subpanel or hottub install. Some killjoy let me know today it is not listed for residential.

quogueelectric

Yes I confronted them today on it and they called their supplier and he said he would check into it. I already told them it is a no go however the interesting thing is that the TC is far more durable then the NM so why can't you use it there? I realize the code does not allow it but it is fire rated, etc. It doesn't make sense. They apparently occasionally get it instead of 4/3 NM because they have to buy a 500 foot real of it. Times are tough so they won't stock it. I thought they were stocking the TC but they would just get it as you need because they will cut it to size for you. It doesn't cost that much more than the NM-- odd again.

I will be interested in what they will come up with unless this wire is a dual rated wire I can't see it being legal.

Apparently they have sold it to others for resi work. :mad:
The local supply houses have been pushing this stuff for over 10 years. It looks just like black covered romex and the promise of direct burial makes it that much more enticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.