License in New Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

there are plenty of other reasons ~ some as benign as "I just wanted to see if I could pass".

It looks good on your resume if you want to get a job as maintenance electrician or engineer.

Also, if you think you MAY someday open your own business, why wait until then to sit for the test? Take the test when the schooling is fresh, get the license, and when you want to start contracting all it takes is getting the insurance and bonding and sending a form into the licensing board.

A better question would be " Why NOT get your license???"

VoltageHz

Goldstar, as I mentioned, I want to get my license now to prepare for the future, especially while much of the apprenticeship education is still fresh in my head (and yes, I certainly know there is a LOT more to learn to pass the licensing test than what the NJACT taught me).

I can't have an active business permit (union rules) so I don't have to worry about any of those other costs.

Like I said, I have free time and ambition right now (not married, no kids yet) so I would like to get the test over with. The business could come later, if ever.

Celtic, I worked with a couple guys last year who had licenses but no business permits. They took the course at the hall (not sure the name, whatever needs to be taken every 3 years) but I remember it being longer than 10 hours, like 24 hours or something. You're saying they didn't have to take that many hours because they didn't have business permits?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's a good insurance policy to have. An acquaintance had his license for 15 years before he actually used it. He had a business opportunity to become the license holder of a company so it became very profitable for him to actually have the license sitting in his drawer. Had he not acquired the license prior the entire process of application and testing could have taken a year or more, in that time the business opportunity would have been long gone.

IMO passing the test and having the license even without the intent of obtaining a business permit is a no-brainer. Not only that, if you look at the history of obtaining one here in New Jersey you'll see as the years go by it becomes harder and harder to pass the test. There was actually a time when they gave them out, now you need to jump thorough hoops. Who knows what may be required 5 or 10 years from now. Maybe the test will be in Latin. :rolleyes:

celtic

Celtic, I worked with a couple guys last year who had licenses but no business permits. They took the course at the hall (not sure the name, whatever needs to be taken every 3 years) but I remember it being longer than 10 hours, like 24 hours or something. You're saying they didn't have to take that many hours because they didn't have business permits?

That is EXACTLY what I am saying :smile:

The 10 hr code/law is mandatory for ALL license holders [active/inactive]
Active license holders also need the additional 24 hr of "electives" and the over achievers who take more than 24 hrs of electives can carry a maximum of 8 hrs forward to the next cycle.
Inactive licensees receive no carry over credits at all.

celtic

IMO passing the test and having the license even without the intent of obtaining a business permit is a no-brainer.

Are you related to this dude?
104331d1229974803-amazing-sham-wow-vince_decap.jpg

:D

Not only that, if you look at the history of obtaining one here in New Jersey you'll see as the years go by it becomes harder and harder to pass the test. There was actually a time when they gave them out, now you need to jump thorough hoops. Who knows what may be required 5 or 10 years from now.
I agree..if I had some input, "Grounding and Bonding" would be the 4th section required to pass.

Maybe the test will be in Latin. :rolleyes:

That's great news!
Since I never became a doctor, the Latin I took in high school has just been collecting dust in my cranium.

Oh, wait....I already have my EC license :cool:

VoltageHz

In today's work environment the hall is likely to "look the other way". Don't ask me how I know.....
Yeah, but only when you know the right people. You never know when they're gonna start getting strict and you never know if you are going to be the one they make an example of.

JohnJ0906

Fast fwd, a dozen years...the guy that took the test at 40 yrs. old is now 50+...body aches but still needs money/job...what to do?
Time to "cash in" the insurance policy and have his kid be the "employee".

This is just one scenario....there are plenty of other reasons ~ some as benign as "I just wanted to see if I could pass".

FWIW, these are 2 of the reasons I took the test (MD's of course) and hold it "inactive".
Another reason is, when applying for a position, many employers see it as a plus. I know for a fact that having a Master's got me one job I applied for, over other applicants.

VoltageHz

Euick question, do you have to have an EC license in NJ to start a company with the term "Electric" in it? A couple people at work said that you did need a license or else you could get into trouble some how, but I haven't been able to find anything written.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Euick question, do you have to have an EC license in NJ to start a company with the term "Electric" in it? A couple people at work said that you did need a license or else you could get into trouble some how, but I haven't been able to find anything written.

I think that the requirement for a business permit is that the company must have some form or description of the word electric in it.

I don't think that Jeff's Electric Motor Supply Company would required a license therefore just using the word electric wouldn't automatically trigger the requirement.

VoltageHz

I think that the requirement for a business permit is that the company must have some form or description of the word electric in it.

I don't think that Jeff's Electric Motor Supply Company would required a license therefore just using the word electric wouldn't automatically trigger the requirement.
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know about needing some form of "electric" to get a business permit, thanks.

celtic

The word "contractor" and the "work" performed is the trigger....

45:5A-2. Definition
(d) ?Electrical contractor? means a person who engages in the business of contracting to install, erect, repair or
alter electrical equipment for the generation, transmission or utilization of electrical energy;
(e) ?Person? means a person, firm, corporation or other legal entity;
...as is the location of said "work"....

?Installation,? as used in this definition, includes the survey of a premises, the design and preparation of the
specifications for the equipment or system to be installed pursuant to a survey, the installation of the equipment or
system, or the demonstration of the equipment or system after the installation is completed, but does not include
any survey, design or preparation of specifications for equipment or for a system that is prepared by an engineer
licensed pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1938, c. 342 (C.45:8-27 et seq.), or an architect licensed pursuant to the
provisions of chapter 3 of Title 45 of the Revised Statutes, if the survey, design, or preparation of specifications is
part of a design for construction of a new building or premises or a renovation of an existing building or premises,
which renovation includes components other than the installation of a burglar alarm, fire alarm or electronic
security system, and further does not include the design or preparation of specifications for the equipment or
system to be installed that are within the practice of professional engineering as defined in subsection (b) of
section 2 of P.L.1938, c. 342 (C.45:8-28);
...as well as the voltages encountered in said "work"...

45:5A-18. Exempt work or construction
(j) Any work with a potential of less than 10 volts.

(p) Any work performed by a landscape irrigation contractor which has the potential of not more than 30 volts
involving the installation, servicing, or maintenance of a landscape irrigation system as this term is defined by
section 2 of this amendatory and supplementary act. Nothing in this act shall be deemed to exempt work
covered by this subsection from inspection required by the ?State Uniform Construction Code Act,? P.L.1975,
c. 217 (C.52:27D-119 et seq.) or regulations adopted pursuant thereto
So as you can see, the mere mention of "electric" in a company's name is not a trigger [as Infinity stated].

More fun reading here:
Statutes and Regulations

celtic

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know about needing some form of "electric" to get a business permit, thanks.

The name of a business that engages in the practice of electrical contracting must have some variation of "Electrical Contractor" as a PART of the entity's name., ie, Voltage Hertz Electrical Service.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Celtic gave you all of the nuts and bolts of the requirements. If you have a little insomnia start reading now and we'll see you in the morning. :rolleyes:

VoltageHz

Yeah, my head hurts already :grin:

The name of a business that engages in the practice of electrical contracting must have some variation of "Electrical Contractor" as a PART of the entity's name., ie, Voltage Hertz Electrical Service.
So what you're saying is that I would need something like "Voltage Hertz Electrical Service" for the business permit, but before I get my license I would not be able to start a company with that name?

celtic

So what you're saying is that I would need something like "Voltage Hertz Electrical Service" for the business permit, but before I get my license I would not be able to start a company with that name?

Correct.
You would not be able to start a company w/o all the necessary items:
- EC lic.
- EC bus. permit
- EC name
- EC ins.
- EC bonding
- a few Spackle buckets full of $50's

celtic

Now where do I find these spackle buckets :confused:

You can find them on any job site.....they are the ones hidden in out of the way areas with the lids on them ...they don't quite feel like they are full of spackle...maybe mud :grin:

JES2727

You could just use your own name followed by the term " electrical contractor". For example : "John Smith, Electrical Contractor". If you're operating as a sole proprietor you need to register the name with the county before you apply to the licensing board for the business permit. If you're operating as a corp. or LLC you must set up the business entity with the state before going for the business permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.