metallic cord gip in pvc box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
No It doesn't. I refreshed through the rules on bonding raceways and surprisingly they make sense. There's no reason to bond that connector. There's no normal instance where it needs to carry current. It doesn't attribute to the continuity of the EGC.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I use a metallic cord grip in a pvc box, do I need to bond it to the EGC?

Does this box have threaded entries?

314.23(H) Pendant Boxes. An enclosure supported by a pendant shall comply with 314.23(H)(1) or (H)(2).
(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
No It doesn't. I refreshed through the rules on bonding raceways and surprisingly they make sense. There's no reason to bond that connector. There's no normal instance where it needs to carry current. It doesn't attribute to the continuity of the EGC.....

I would agree. What would be the logic to require it?

Its not part of the EGC so thats out.

If the cable shorted it could energize the strain relief but still would not clear the fault because of the plastic box.......... Ahhhh I answered my own question..... Ok there's a small chance that it could become energized and by having it bonded it would/may clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.