5 Soup Kettles on 1 circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris6245

The setup, five 220V 3.5amp commercial soup kettles with FMC to a junction box the feed to this box is #10 THHN on a 2 pole 30amp OCD. This is NOT a factory assembly it has been custom made. The question, is there a code section that prevents this? I can't find anything. The name plate on each kettle only says volts and amps and nothing about overcurrent protection.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think there's a decent possibility it violates 422.11(E)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The setup, five 220V 3.5amp commercial soup kettles with FMC to a junction box the feed to this box is #10 THHN on a 2 pole 30amp OCD. This is NOT a factory assembly it has been custom made. The question, is there a code section that prevents this? I can't find anything. The name plate on each kettle only says volts and amps and nothing about overcurrent protection.

I don't see anything wrong with this install.

Chris6245

Thank you for the input, I found 422.11 (E) but as Chris said it only applies to single appliances. I couldn't find anything else but wanted to make sure before we went any further with the install.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm sure it's open to discussion, but, to me you have (5) appliances since, according to the OP, it;s not a factory assembly. I look at 422.11(E) as saying each (as in one single appliance) would need to have OCP not exceeding 20 amps.
If the "table" with all (5) kettles had been a factory unit I would approach it differently.
My opinion anyway.

Chris6245

seperate disconnects or switches and fuses have been discussed but the main question that I was trying to find an answer to was could they all 5 be fed from one 30amp circuit? I agree that if one shorts out they all 5 go down and all the other concerns, those will be addressed in the install. Getting one 30amp 220V circuit is easy, getting several 15 or 20 amp circuits is a bigger problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What size are the whip conductors? It would be hard to argue they could be smaller than #10, since they're yours.

benaround

Let's say that instead of soup kettles these were 4500w/240v water heaters, Would

anybody run a 125a/240v circuit to a j-box and splice all the tanks together? I know this

is kind of out there, but not really.

I think Gus got it right.

Chris6245

We ended up installing 2 - 20amp circuits and installing DPST switch at each kettle. The sub panel idea was also thrown around but space was a problem. I think the way we did this was the best option we had..

Status
Not open for further replies.