#14 Tails

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I recently worked with another Electrician doing trim outs and we were connecting plug to plug wiring on a 20amp circuit. He was using #14 for tails stating it was easier to work with and OK by code because #14 is actually capable of 20amp. 310.16 did back up the ampacity but had an asterisk next to it regarding circuit breaker size. So basically what I am asking is it OK to use #14 jumpers on a 20 amp ckt? Also is it Ok to use 15amp receptacles on a 20 amp ckt?

Thanks for your help with the references as always
Dave

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Your friend is wrong about the tails. #12 if hooked to a 20 A breaker.

He was using #14 for tails stating it was easier to work with and OK by code because #14 is actually capable of 20amp. 310.16 did back up the ampacity but had an asterisk next to it regarding circuit breaker size. So basically what I am asking is it OK to use #14 jumpers on a 20 amp ckt?

Drag him to 240.4(D)(3) &(4).

Ask where he thought the verbiage in 240.4(B)(1) was headed? Now about the other question-

Also is it Ok to use 15amp receptacles on a 20 amp ckt?

Yes.

Take a trip over to 210.21(B).

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Thanks alot RockyD, I read thru them both and it cleared things up.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Cool. Another electrical issue with no gray areas put to bed in 4 posts. Now if we just get the rest of the code this easy to handle....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here is an illustration that applies, note that210-19(d) ex 1(c) is now 210.19(A)(2).

210-19dx1c.gif

And with that, let's close this thread.

Roger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.