Romex From Wall to Garbage Disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Oh Boy! we could really get into a can of worms here....How about the over the range microwave cord that is exposed in the cabinet, range hood cord, dishwasher cord etc. IMO, nothing in the kitchen setting is exposed to any physical damage that the NEC refers to.......

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Personally I think it is a bad call. Even tho ent is not really a recognized method of protection I cannot understand the issue. I usually use carflex with a connector at the disposal end. IMO, it is plenty protected-- it's not like you are driving a vehicle under the sink cabinet--- geez. A little common sense-- unfortunately common sense does not always prevail.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
GET OUT OF MY HEAD! :D

I have been thinking about that very thing trying to justify it. But I do believe a cord to be OK and NM to be subject to damage.

That's a weird opinion but since it is open to interpretation I certainly wouldn't argue it. I'll just give my opinion that I disagree and personally don't see a case where NM would be subject to damage but not the cord

iwire

Staff member
That's a weird opinion but since it is open to interpretation I certainly wouldn't argue it. I'll just give my opinion that I disagree and personally don't see a case where NM would be subject to damage but not the cord

A cord is much more tolerant to repeated bending at the connector then solid NM, at least IMO.

nakulak

what the heck are these people doing under their sink to inflict all this damage on the nm ? I think the nm is compliant; I think the nm w/emt sleeve is even better. of course, as you know, my opinion doesn't count for much. :wink:

iwire

Staff member
what the heck are these people doing under their sink to inflict all this damage on the nm ?

I have to agree with you I have seen a lot of NM under sinks and it was ugly but not damaged.

That said it seems if an inspector decided it is exposed to damage under there I see no way to dispute it. It is in fact exposed to damage no matter how unlikely that may be.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
A cord is much more tolerant to repeated bending at the connector then solid NM, at least IMO.
Ok I never thought of subject to damage as involving movement. So that may be indicated if there is no other rule involving movement after installation...

Dang. I said I wouldn't argue your opinion because the code clearly indicates it is left to some human beings judgment so it's pointless....
sorry.

gndrod

Second trip

Second trip

Which method is $$$ saving for an electrical branch circuit installation to a disposer? Putting in a receptacle under the sink and having the plumber supply the pigtailed disposer later or having to come back and wire up the disposer with flex? Just thought I'd ask. rbj

iMuse97

Which method is $$$ saving for an electrical branch circuit installation to a disposer? Putting in a receptacle under the sink and having the plumber supply the pigtailed disposer later or having to come back and wire up the disposer with flex? Just thought I'd ask. rbj

I had always installed the recept., b/c it seemed to be less hassle that way. Less hassle means less $$$. We could usually get the duplex and plate installed before the sink was set into the hole. In some jurisdictions, we would install the dishwasher circuit on the other side of the same duplex recept. and put a two pole brkr in the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Since the disposal is usually on the job when I am there I wire the disposal and leave it sitting under the sink for the plumber to install, if I get there first.

sfav8r

I had always installed the recept., b/c it seemed to be less hassle that way. Less hassle means less $$$. We could usually get the duplex and plate installed before the sink was set into the hole. In some jurisdictions, we would install the dishwasher circuit on the other side of the same duplex recept. and put a two pole brkr in the panel.

We use a 4-square flush with the face of the studs, then a 1-1/2 extension and a duplex industrial cover. Wire it up and never touch it again. The cabinet guys cut the hole, slide the cab in and we never crawl in the cab at all. Plus, they never cover the darn plugs that way!

WirenutGP

With 30 years in the trade I have yet to have a service call to repair damaged romex feeding a disposal.

I know, my opinion and $4.50 can get you coffee at Starbucks.

iwire

Staff member
We use a 4-square flush with the face of the studs, then a 1-1/2 extension and a duplex industrial cover. Wire it up and never touch it again. The cabinet guys cut the hole, slide the cab in and we never crawl in the cab at all. Plus, they never cover the darn plugs that way!

That is a pretty nice way of handling it, almost guarantees it will not get buried. :cool:

walkerj

Where has that idea been my whole life?!:D

I have always just put two receptacles in two seperate single gang boxes under the sink. One for the dishwasher and one for the disposal.

How about we just agree to install all wiring under a sink in 1/2" rigid encased in 2" of concrete! :)

Well, if you're encasing it in concrete, it might as well be RED tinted concrete:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.