Old Square D Load Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am selling my 1964 vintage home and the buyers just had their inspection done. He marked up multiple double tapped fuses. I knew they were that way but several of them look original (yes, did one myself too). I know I can pigtail them to get by, but does anyone know of any resource where I could look up to see if they are listed for more than one conductor? Can't find any info on the label and have drawn a blank on Google. It is a Square D FSC-8M. Any help would be appreciated.

ceb58

Square D's site draws a blank also. But I am sure some one here will be glad to do a service upgrade for you at the Mike Holt Forum discount:D

ibew441dc

No problem, just that there are about six of them and it would look messy.

Is the cabinet recessed? If not an your worried about looks in the enclosure, set some boxes to the side-top-or bottom make the splices in there and bring 1 conductor to the breaker.

Even if it is recessed you could still do something like that....Me I would use some WAGO's and move on.

MF Dagger

Why the wagos? Why not just a normal wirenut? The only time I ever use wago's is when they come preinstalled in recessed cans and when the wire is cut too short in a box

john8791

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OK, got the job done. I used 3M Super Tan's except for 2 that had short wires, so I used Wagos just to try. They seem to work well too.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my original question was if the lug was listed for multiple conductors. What I did see marked on the lugs was "8-14ga". Keep in mind this is a fuse panel from 1964, but wouldn't it be ok to fill the hole with multiple conductors so long as the circular mils didn't exceed that of an 8ga wire?

JohnJ0906

OK, got the job done. I used 3M Super Tan's except for 2 that had short wires, so I used Wagos just to try. They seem to work well too.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my original question was if the lug was listed for multiple conductors. What I did see marked on the lugs was "8-14ga". Keep in mind this is a fuse panel from 1964, but wouldn't it be ok to fill the hole with multiple conductors so long as the circular mils didn't exceed that of an 8ga wire?

No, 110.14(A). Check the last sentence. If it were listed for multiple conductors, it should be so marked.

However, I don't know if this requirement existed in 1964. (Cue, Ken.... :grin:)

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I used to hate WAGO looking crap. Now they actually produce high quality stuff. At the Electric west show this year, they have reuseable retainers that will hold up to six # 10's -

See here.

Hard to deny a quality looking piece of equipment.

ibew441dc

Deeees Nuts!!!!

Deeees Nuts!!!!

I used to hate WAGO looking crap. Now they actually produce high quality stuff. At the Electric west show this year, they have reuseable retainers that will hold up to six # 10's -

See here.

Hard to deny a quality looking piece of equipment.

I still don't care for that style.....the ones I like are these...
Series_773_WALLNUTS_540x235.jpg

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Dan,

But that was my whole point...no need to cut the wire to remove it!

ibew441dc

Dan,
But that was my whole point...no need to cut the wire to remove it!

Wallnuts are listed for use and re-use of solid wire. Easy to remove the wire with a little twist.

Wallnuts are only listed for single use for stranded wire......but you can get the wire out if you work at it;)

I like your point though.....the ones you show allow ease of entry and exit....could be bad too if one is not careful to close the latch all of the way..... I still like the look of the Wallnuts

ericsherman37

We do a lot of service work at the local hospital... adding this new piece of equipment, or that new emergency light... sometimes we use existing circuits (when they have the capacity to spare) and it's a pain to splice into a wirenutted circuit without accidentally disconnecting something (they rarely let us shut off circuits). Every time we do a splice, we try to add a capped-off pigtail for future use, but I'm thinking maybe we should stock up on some of those things and make life easier for everyone :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Can't find any info on the label and have drawn a blank on Google. It is a Square D FSC-8M. Any help would be appreciated.
Finally back to my office, where my old books are.

For the trivia people:smile:
FSC is the cover only, FSB is the box only, the plug-in unit is number FSP. The catalog says the 30A lugs can "accomodate No. 14 to No. 8AWG wire".

Status
Not open for further replies.