Who runs a service body (utility) on a truck chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreamlineGT

I am pondering replacing my van with an enclosed utility body on a truck chassis. What I would like to know is, who has which manufacturer, and the pros and cons of each. All makes and models welcome, including cutaways if you have them, as the truck mount equivilents are usually pretty similar. POST PICTURES TOO! Blur any logos and phone numbers if needed to comply with forum rules.

Here is what I have in mind. F-450 or 550 crew cab with a FRP body.

PDV_Trademaster_Ford_7.jpg

I like the way this body is color coded, and believe it is by Utilimaster, but I have heard it is expensive to gel coat.
http://www.getauto.com/vehicledetail/adid-14317212

peter d

That is a sweet rig! :cool:

However, if you do any work in the city or urban areas as I do (narrow driveways, lack of parking, etc) it would be an absolute nightmare for daily use.

StreamlineGT

I'll just make sure there is a disclaimer on the contract or work order about the condition of the driveway, and a chainsaw in the truck to make quick work of low branches. That is my only worry.

PetrosA

I guess my question is do you really need something THAT big? It's got to use a ton of fuel since it doesn't look particularly... umm aerodynamic... I'd also think about how often you need to get to extension ladders since one of the complaints I hear from guys with tall trucks is the difficulty involved with getting the ladders on/off and I don't think they make electric or crank racks for bodies like that.

resistance

I'm not for large rigs either!! Before I started my company, I worked for a company that had--what I Call--a plumbers truck. It was a nightmare trying to park, or even drive up narrow streets. I was always on edge when I drove, and even more when the apprentice was driving.

Yet, only you know your situation, and taste!

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I run a 2006 Chevy 2500HD. it has the Duramax diesel and in my opinion is much better on fuel compared to the Gas counterpart. I average 12.5 around town and got as good as 21.1 on a road trip in march. Oh, I can also do 85 up a 7%grade in 6th gear.
Here is the only pic of the body I have... My apprentice is sitting on the flip up bin. I have a crazy amount of material in this truck. It is all about organization and planning. Look up pics of fulthrottl's van and you'll see what I mean.

resistance

I run a 2006 Chevy 2500HD. it has the Duramax diesel and in my opinion is much better on fuel compared to the Gas counterpart. I average 12.5 around town and got as good as 21.1 on a road trip in march. Oh, I can also do 85 up a 7%grade in 6th gear.
Here is the only pic of the body I have... My apprentice is sitting on the flip up bin. I have a crazy amount of material in this truck. It is all about organization and planning. Look up pics of fulthrottl's van and you'll see what I mean.
What picture????:confused:

I ride without ladders, or put ladders inside as often as possible. anything to cut down on drag on the highway. i have an astro van. just enough room to operate. that truck looks sweet and ive thought about going bigger. but its just gonna be more space to clean organize and potentially lose due to theft. plus the insurance cost on that might be higher then a standard truck/van, not sure tho. best of luck in the hunt for new work truck!

resistance

I ride without ladders, or put ladders inside as often as possible. anything to cut down on drag on the highway. i have an astro van. just enough room to operate. that truck looks sweet and ive thought about going bigger. but its just gonna be more space to clean organize and potentially lose due to theft. plus the insurance cost on that might be higher then a standard truck/van, not sure tho. best of luck in the hunt for new work truck!
Astro Van? Time to upgrade......if your income will allow it. Heck, I need a new van!

ultramegabob

I am pondering replacing my van with an enclosed utility body on a truck chassis. What I would like to know is, who has which manufacturer, and the pros and cons of each. All makes and models welcome, including cutaways if you have them, as the truck mount equivilents are usually pretty similar. POST PICTURES TOO! Blur any logos and phone numbers if needed to comply with forum rules.

Here is what I have in mind. F-450 or 550 crew cab with a FRP body.

PDV_Trademaster_Ford_7.jpg

I like the way this body is color coded, and believe it is by Utilimaster, but I have heard it is expensive to gel coat.
http://www.getauto.com/vehicledetail/adid-14317212

what type of electrical work do you do for the most part? how many guys do you typically haul in a vehicle at a time? that truck is definitely impressive, but do you need that much rig?

CopperTone

I have a ford E250 van. I have been pondering a new 2nd truck to put on the road and I think I'll be going with another van. It is very cost effective. Vans are cheap - get the racks for inside.

I don't see the extra 10K or more for a "cool" truck as being worth it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Recently bought a small topped version of Scott's Ford. Not near as pretty and it has low end mirrors. Just counting the days until I back into someone or I don't see someone in the passenger side blind spot. My basically empty Ford weighs in @ 7000lbs while my fully loaded Chevy with no top weighs 8000.

Nothing wrong with the Astro, I have a Montanna mini van that has served me very well and gets around alot better than any of the 4WD I have @ 26mpg vs 10-13.

StreamlineGT

Here are my reasons for wanting something like this.

1. 4 wheel drive. If I get to a new home, and the contractor hasn't had the driveway cleared of snow, it's not productive to walk to the end of the driveway to get stuff, or not work there that day. I'd rather stay and work and be productive.

2. Crew cab. I do a good amount of work on the weekends at either my family's house at the ocean, or my in-laws across the state. I like to take the fam and the dog. Instead of taking two vehicles, or trying to remember everything I need to work, and throw it in the car, I can take em all and not have to worry.

3. Towing. I sometimes haul my backhoe to jobs, and now transport with my pickup, do whatever have to do, then go back to get the van to finish up. Rather just get it done in one shot.

4. Consolidate. I have a van and a pickup now. Rather than pay for two older vehicles, roll them all into one do all.

5. Since I own the place, and would like to think I am at the higher end in terms of quality and service, I want the best. Just my nature. Certainly not something I would buy a fleet of, but being a one man show in a wealthier suburb, I want to keep that image. If that came out wrong, I apologize. I am not a snob, just like nice things, especially when I am in it 7 days a week.

acwservices

I have a ford E250 van. I have been pondering a new 2nd truck to put on the road and I think I'll be going with another van. It is very cost effective. Vans are cheap - get the racks for inside.

I don't see the extra 10K or more for a "cool" truck as being worth it.

How is the noise inside todays service vans? It's been a number of years since I worked out of a van, but the last time I did, I could not seem to turn the radio loud enough to drown out all of the squeaking and rattling going on in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.