Terminating 120V I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

I have a control panel where I need to land a new circuits on a terminal strip with 120v. The terminal I'm landing on is not hot but the ones above it are. Is this consider hot work? 70E has the Restricted and Prohibited boundary as (Avoid contact)... I plan on avoiding contact, so as long as I have the proper PPE am I good to go with out a hot work permit. My personl opinion is no work permit is required??? Opinions comments?????

pfalcon

NPFA70E:2004:110.8
You are working on a system with unsafe work conditions. You require NFPA70E:2004:130.1 to proceed (work permit).

cornbread

130.1 (2009) Energized...circuits parts to which an employee might be exposed shall be put into an electrcial safe work condition before an employess works within the Limited Approach Boundary of those conductive parts. 50 to 300 Limited approach is 3'-6".

Wow, your right. I can't imagine getting a hot work permit for landing cables in cabinet. Seems we just gave our overseas competitors another advantage.

Guess I'll start learning spanish !!!

iaov

I believe in being safe not ridiculous!! Working on panels/equipment that are live comes with the turf sometimes. Most things are impossible to toubleshoot unless they are live. Be deliberate, be carefull.

cornbread

We are developing a written procdure to cover working / terminating in a live cabinet. It is my hope we can meet the intent of 70E by detailing the hazards and proper PPE along with a safe work permit that can be signed off by lower management.

pfalcon

I believe in being safe not ridiculous!! Working on panels/equipment that are live comes with the turf sometimes. Most things are impossible to toubleshoot unless they are live. Be deliberate, be carefull.

NPFA70E:2002:130.1(3) Exemptions to Work Permit
Covers troubleshooting, testing, voltage measuring, etc.
Once you are done with the exempted live work then you have to LOTO to do repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.