Suggestions Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindShear

Dear All,

I have recently completed my bachelors in Electrical Engineering,Since i am recently hired by an electrical design and consulting firm,one of the main things they have asked me to have is good familiarisation of National Electric code.
I have gone through the entire book but it looks very difficult to keep things in mind ,Since many of you are already experienced in this industry,i would really appreciate if you could give me any suggestions pertaining to having good grip on NEC .

P.S i appologize if i posted this thread in the wrong forum.

Kindest Regard to all.

iwire

Staff member
Welcome to the forum, you have definitely found a place that can help you with the NEC, we have many engineers here as well as many knowledgeable electricians.

Almost universally we electricians want the engineers to know as much as possible about the NEC so that our jobs go smoother. :smile:

ibew441dc

The NEC is a whole nother hurdle!!!

The NEC is a whole nother hurdle!!!

Dear All,

I have recently completed my bachelors in Electrical Engineering,Since i am recently hired by an electrical design and consulting firm,one of the main things they have asked me to have is good familiarisation of National Electric code.
I have gone through the entire book but it looks very difficult to keep things in mind ,Since many of you are already experienced in this industry,i would really appreciate if you could give me any suggestions pertaining to having good grip on NEC .

P.S i appologize if i posted this thread in the wrong forum.

Kindest Regard to all.

Since you have a bachelors in Electrical Engineering, I am assuming you have a sound foundation in electrical theory (which is a must).

You must get a grasp on Article 90 first, it is very short but very important. Next soak up Chapter 1, it will be difficult to remember all of the definitions in Article 100, but just remember that they are there. Chapter 1 and Article 90 contain the foundation that one must absorb or the rest will not fall into place.

Depending on what you are exposed to in the real world will determine much of where you spend your time in the NEC.

If you are like me and many here......working with systems less than 600 volts and in general areas then the following is the meat and potatoes......

Article 90 ( break down of the NEC)
Article 100 (definitions)
Article 110 (general requirements)
Chapter 2 (branch circuits, feeders, services, ect.)
Chapter 3 (raceways, cables, boxes, ect.)
Chapter 4 (general equipment, panels, switches, motors, transformers, ect.)
Chapter 9 Tables

By the Way, Welcome to the forum!!!!

Last edited:

ibew441dc

Welcome to the forum, you have definitely found a place that can help you with the NEC, we have many engineers here as well as many knowledgeable electricians.

Almost universally we electricians want the engineers to know as much as possible about the NEC so that our jobs go smoother. :smile:

yep!....many engineers and many knowledgeable electricians.....but no good inspectors!!!;):grin: just kidding......Welcome,theres all kinds of us here from different parts of the industry and for the most part we all have a good sense of humor......and at times some very helpful input:smile:

Last edited:

guschash

Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do ( if you have not done so already ) is to purchased the Handbook. It will explain the code and what they were thinking when they put the articles together.

Gus

ron

I found it impossible to read the NEC right after graduating. I couldn't understand the prescriptive concepts as they related to the theory, without going out to see a few installations. I didn't start to understand the first few parts of the NEC until I started on my first project.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Here might be a good place to start. Out of the box -

1091109068.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Once you have a decent understanding, it will change:smile:
Once you have a thorough understanding, its time to retire.
It doesn't hurt to keep taos on this Forum, as iwire states there is a good amount of knowledge here (a lot of it his).
You may find some disagreement but it will help you with some of the more controversial issues.

Get a copy of Practical Electrical Wiring by Richter et al. It'll give you a good idea of the work itself and how things might actually be done in the field. Likewise, don't try to absorb everything. Just like medicine, there's specialization here. If your interests take you to industrial practice, there's isn't much point to memorizing everything about residential work. Knowing that it's different should enoiugh to start.

Oh, and excersize the search function of this forum.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
See if you can get yourself a copy of "Charlie's Rule," and post it on your cubicle wall. I have a copy on my cubicle wall. :cool: :D

iwire

Staff member
See if you can get yourself a copy of "Charlie's Rule," and post it on your cubicle wall. I have a copy on my cubicle wall. :cool: :D

Shameless self promotion, thats what happens when the incoming royalties start dropping. :wink:

Charlie?s Rule of Technical Reading

It doesn?t say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say, and if by chance you are its author, it doesn?t say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don?t ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.

JWCELECTRIC

Wind,

Congrates on your graduation! you will learn all you need on this forum or you will disagree a lot. Look up items in the NEC as you design. If you are adding outlets and lights to the drawing read all articles on the two, then the same for services, generators, and classified areas (etc..) depending on what type of buildings you are designing for. I would also suggest going to the site to see how things get installed based on what is on the drawings. A small box on the drawing could big box in on site. Ask the electricians on site questions of what they are doing, "they are engineers in the field they just don't know it", they need to engineer all the peices together to make it work. Also I would learn Autocad if you paln on staying in Engineering. Good Luck!

brian john

Brian's rule.

Who is the best electrician in North America and WHY AM I?

A few tips

Never hesitate to ask a question and never believe the answer till you confirm it from a more reliable source.

Most electricians will give you the wrong answer in lieu of admitting they do not know.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Windy, welcome to the forum! :smile:

First of all, nobody is expected to memorize the NEC. You only need to learn how to find stuff in it. The parts we know, we learned by rote, by repeated use.

What matters is that you learn how to use the book; the index, the terminology, how to find what you need to know. The index is your real starting point.

The definitions help you learn terminology; which words the book use. It's like learning how to use a computer; you first have to learn what things are called.

Status
Not open for further replies.