GFCI breaker tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Nice

I have a 2 pole 20A GFCI breaker feeding a boat lift that wont quit tripping! I can use the lift anywhere from 2 to 20 times before the breaker trips, but sooner or later it does trip. The control box was replaced after a storm ruined the original and the breaker tripped before and after, so im sure its not that. The line from the breaker to control box has been replaced and is completely waterproof. There is a sub in the boat house that feeds another sub at the dock, which has this GFCI breaker. The sub in the boat house is fed with only a three conductor cable therefore the sub at the dock has the same. I plan on feeding the fourth wire anyway to isolate an insulate ground from neutral. My question to you is...Do I need to feed a fourth wire throughout this system to solve my problem or is there another possible issue?

wireguru

the GFI looks and current going out and coming back in, if it doesnt match the GFI trips. 3W vs 4W feed to the panel its in isnt going to affect this.

You said its a 2 pole. Is there a neutral for the circuit? If so, does it go through the breaker? Did someone, some where, tap one of the hots for the circuit?

How many feet of wire do you have from the breaker to the load?

Does the control box have a line filter or surge arrester?

oh, and megger everything.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How do you know the breaker is tripping on a GF?
A GFCI will trip on leakage current, unless there are things in your system that are variable, I would expect the GFCI to always trip not just after multiple operations.

Or do you mean that it works for several days and then decides to trip?

D-Nice

The line feeding the sub on the dock is tapped off the main lugs in the sub at the boat house(6awg, about 180 feet). I dont think anyone tapped a hot, but I will double check. Not sure about the line filter or arrester...if one exists what should be done? No Megger, eeeesh! Yes the control box does use a neutral, which is just tied to the ground.

wireguru

Yes the control box does use a neutral, which is just tied to the ground.

so the control box receives its power from one pole of the two pole GFI breaker, and uses the EGC as its neutral? That would be your problem....strange though -i would expect it to trip constantly....is the GFI breaker ok?

D-Nice

control box receives power from a @ 2 pole gfci breaker and it uses the egc as a neutral. #10 or even 12 should be fine for neutral since its just controls right?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Again I ask, how do you know it is the GFCI function tripping the breaker and not some other type of overcurrent event?

How long can you go bewtween tripping?

Is the breaker at the begining of the 180' run or is it in the 'control box'?

D-Nice

I put an amp meter on it and its only pulling about 7 amps. I calculated the voltage drop and the wire size is correct. Sometimes it trips after going up and down once and sometimes it doesnt trip until about 7 or 8 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.