Earthquake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsherman37

Don't even worry till it's about 5.5 (that is the point where the silverware start dancing around on the table top by theirself), then it's time to beat feet.

I still remember the 64 quake back in Anchorage when I was in second grade....8.6 on a 10 scale, 9.2 om and open scale. 4.7? Just a Harley going down the street.

Crescent City, CA got slammed by the tsunami from that quake. I used to live near there and went on a little tour/seminar thing about it. They had the high water mark painted about 9 feet up on the town library wall :D

ray cyr

May 18th, 1980, 29 years ago today. I didn't feel the earthquake but I doubt that I will ever forget watching the sky go black and then walking out into what seemed to be raining sand.

jumper

May 18th, 1980, 29 years ago today. I didn't feel the earthquake but I doubt that I will ever forget watching the sky go black and then walking out into what seemed to be raining sand.

HANG DANG, how time flies. Did not even see a mention of it in the paper.

Mount St. Helens volcanic eruption. from the USGS site:

The fine-grained, gritty ash caused substantial problems for internal-combustion engines and other mechanical and electrical equipment. The ash contaminated oil systems, clogged air filters, and scratched moving surfaces. Fine ash caused short circuits in electrical transformers, which in turn caused power blackouts. The sewage-disposal systems of several municipalities that received about half an inch or more of ash, such as Moses Lake and Yakima, Washington, were plagued by ash clogging and damage to pumps, filters, and other equipment. Fortunately, as these same cities used deep wells and closed storage, their water-supply systems were only minimally affected.

mxslick

Had a 4.0 aftershock this afternoon....it felt the same and was located a bit closer to my location.

Hawthorne experienced a water main break and late news reporting an apt. building in Long Beach (about 18-20 miles from me) is severely damaged with a partial roof collapse.

The cat's still a bit jittery..

ibew441dc

Had a 4.0 aftershock this afternoon....it felt the same and was located a bit closer to my location.

Hawthorne experienced a water main break and late news reporting an apt. building in Long Beach (about 18-20 miles from me) is severely damaged with a partial roof collapse.

The cat's still a bit jittery..

I didn't even notice it ....Hawthorne is not far from me in HB.....

Months ago there was a pretty good shaker and me and my crew were on the 3rd floor of a building in Seal Beach, it cracked all of the seams of drywall in the fire exits pretty good. The maintenance guys said not to bring any attention to that because they(they=Building Official) may want to investigate. His solution was some tape and drywall mud!!

That was scary to hear that...but reassured me that some of those maintenance engineers are not all there:grin:

ibew441dc

California people ...are people too!

California people ...are people too!

do you california people get more service calls because of small earthquakes?

:mad:What do you mean "you california people"?..... just kidding :grin:that was my Tropic Thunder movie impression;)

Sometimes yeah....sometimes no.

Depends on how bad the media turns a minor situation into a catastrophic SWINE FLU style earthquake.:grin::roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.