Paint booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We are replacing a existing paint booth with a new one .The new one will be ventilated to the roof .It is about 8' high 12' wide by 30' long .They are installing this in a existing room that is 30' wide by 18' high by 45' long .It has doors with a inter lock for spraying . Would existing lighting in the room need to be explosion proof or just lights inside the paint booth. Also doing this without a permit ?

sgunsel

I presume you are talking about a conventional open face spray booth for applying liquid coatings. See NEC article 516 Spray Application, Dipping and Coating processes. Read the definitions at least twice. The spray area is Class I Division 1. Class I Division 2 extends various distances from openings as shown in Figure 513.3(C)(2). Study this figure carefully. Most booths are designed with transparent panels so the lighting fixtures can be located in an unclassified area. Similarly, most electrical controls and wiring can usually be located in unclassified areas to minimize cost and simpliify installation.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it has doors, I believe that it's a 3' "bubble" around the openings, and I don't recall what the exact measurement is for an open front.

I agree that you need to check out 516

Status
Not open for further replies.