Wood inside fixture canopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibew441dc

Yeah - you read that title right?

I got a fixture spec with claims to be "Approved to UL standards by CSA" :rolleyes:

Check out step #2...
http://www.bocci.ca/downloads/install/14-14-Rectangle-Installation.pdf

Any direct code violation here?

Would you put it up like that? (in a 60 story building)

And it weighs over 80 Lbs. The balls are solid glass.

No direct violations come to mind, but a couple may come into play, for example...Just because its listed doesn't really mean anything to an inspector who doesn't approve it.
110.2 Approval.
The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved.
Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

Wood inside fixture canopy....seems okay:confused:
410.76 Design and Material.
Luminaires shall be constructed of metal, wood, or other material suitable for the application and shall be designed and assembled so as to secure requisite mechanical strength and rigidity. Wiring compartments, including their entrances, shall be designed and constructed to permit conductors to be drawn in and withdrawn without physical damage.

ibew441dc

Check out step #2...

Step 3 is just as good:rolleyes:

Connect transformers inside the
canopy to line voltage.
Note: As an option, bocci
recommends mounting transformers
remotely in a close by, accessible
and hidden location for ease of long
term maintenance.

If its hidden....how does that make it easy for long term maintenance:-? I tryed mister but I couldn't find it;):grin: somebody must of hid the transformer:grin:

360Youth

Step 3 is just as good:rolleyes:

Connect transformers inside the
canopy to line voltage.
Note: As an option, bocci
recommends mounting transformers
remotely in a close by, accessible
and hidden location for ease of long
term maintenance.

If its hidden....how does that make it easy for long term maintenance:-? I tryed mister but I couldn't find it;):grin: somebody must of hid the transformer:grin:

It is kind of like trying to find the doorbell transformer when it goes bad.

Yeah - you read that title right?

I got a fixture spec with claims to be "Approved to UL standards by CSA" :rolleyes:

Check out step #2...
http://www.bocci.ca/downloads/install/14-14-Rectangle-Installation.pdf

Any direct code violation here?

Would you put it up like that? (in a 60 story building)

And it weighs over 80 Lbs. The balls are solid glass.

It seems like that the 'plywood' trim - if that is your objection - is located outside of the elctrical housing.

e57

It seems like that the 'plywood' trim - if that is your objection - is located outside of the elctrical housing.
No - the plywood is INSIDE the fixture - exposed to both the 120 feed, and the transformers. So this is combustable material exposed to the conductors - since there is zero tolorance to outlets in wood - I'm finding it hard to buy that its OK to have a bunch of transformers against it. And since this building is a life safety location - I would assume this plywood would need to be type-X in the very least... :rolleyes:

KevinVost

The little US mark after the CSA mark makes it suitable for use here in the USA (as pictured on the instructions), however I would run the mounting detail past your AHJ. Just because something is listed for use, does not mean it is approved by the AHJ (covered in 90.4, second sentance).

I would not install any combustable material in contact with any type of wiring, transformers or other electrical material if at all possible, I would want to sleep at night.

e57

I would not install any combustable material in contact with any type of wiring, transformers or other electrical material if at all possible, I would want to sleep at night.
I'm glad there is at least two of us....

Although there does not seem to be a code about packing paper mache into J-boxes - I just don't think it's a great idea.

Last edited:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
The little US mark after the CSA mark makes it suitable for use here in the USA (as pictured on the instructions), however I would run the mounting detail past your AHJ. Just because something is listed for use, does not mean it is approved by the AHJ (covered in 90.4, second sentance).

Yeah I believe all luminaires must be listed. And by definition the listing agency has to be one that is approved by AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.