Grease for bulb bases

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

A quick search of the forum didn't turn up any results...

Does anyone here use some kind of grease for the bases of outdoor floods to keep them from seizing up in the socket? If so, what kind do you use/recommend?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I use dielectric grease sometimes on things like that, and trailers / auto lights. I have never had any problems with it but wonder about the conductivity. Any time I use it I only use a very very very thin film.

11755.jpg

Last edited:

wptski

I was going to suggest a similar product used for automotive connectors, NyoGel 760G. It's good to 100C but is that high enough??

iMuse97

I was going to suggest a similar product used for automotive connectors, NyoGel 760G. It's good to 100C but is that high enough??

Good question! I'm working on a similar situation with (interior) 250w halogens, and obviously they get extremely hot. My guess is the temp. at the screw shell is significantly higher than the temp. (2 in away) at the place where the lampholder leads attach with rated 105C conductors.

wireguru

I have seen brand new theatrical fixtures come with some sort of grease in the sockets that hold kw bi-pin lamps, and some lamps have the same stuff on their pins. I wonder what they use.....

ibew441dc

Yeah but...

Sil-Glyde is silicone based and has been tested for use up to 600 degrees F. (Take a look at the specs).

I'm telling you, it's good stuff!

I'm not disagreeing with you that that stuff is most likely better....just wanted to throw in a tid bit.

iwire

Staff member
This is pretty interesting......scroll to page 5 and start at section 4.2
http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/fist/fist3_3/vol3-3.pdf

Yeah, like I said I have used it for some things, brushes and slip rings. The electrical rail of a House of Horrors electric powered passenger cabin etc.

However sticking it in a lamp socket is not one of things I would use it for nor is it what I think that document is recommending. :smile:

electricalperson

ok guys this might sound really weird but i learned a trick for this.

its called nose grease. rub the bulb base in the spot between your nostril and your face. that oil will lube up the bulb and be fine

somebody told me this and thought they were kidding

ibew441dc

ok guys this might sound really weird but i learned a trick for this.

its called nose grease. rub the bulb base in the spot between your nostril and your face. that oil will lube up the bulb and be fine

somebody told me this and thought they were kidding

That said I am not sure about the wisdom of using nose grease based lubricants in electrical sockets.;):grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.