Romex in Dental Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

The exam rooms of a dentist office must be wired in accordance with 517.13 which requires a metallic wiring method that qualifies as an equipment grounding in accordance with 250.118.

So simply put the exam rooms can't be wired in NM cable (romex).

Chris

Last edited:
Not to be a jerk, but sometimes when a question like this comes from a contractor, I wonder how well he can use his NEC, or does he even open/own it. How does one get as far a being a contractor and not have or use a code book????????

SEO

There a lot of contractors that get into trouble when they don't read the article of the NEC that applies to where they are working. Art 517 is a good example.

Thanks for the information Chris. t was helpful.

As for the other posts, I am a licensed master electrician in Florida in the trade for 28 years. I didn't explain it in my question (didn't realize I needed to) but I just needed some clarification specifically for dentist vs. MD or hospital, etc.
I thought this was a forum to share knowledge, not to feed the chips on your shoulders. "Not to be a jerk" but what purpose does it serve to treat fellow collegues like they are dumb? Make you feel better about yourself?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

As for the other posts, I am a licensed master electrician in Florida in the trade for 28 years. I didn't explain it in my question (didn't realize I needed to) but I just needed some clarification specifically for dentist vs. MD or hospital, etc.
I thought this was a forum to share knowledge, not to feed the chips on your shoulders. "Not to be a jerk" but what purpose does it serve to treat fellow collegues like they are dumb? Make you feel better about yourself?

There are a many people that may misrepresent themselves or just plain out lie and with that said, the way you asked the question did seem a bit odd for a licensed EC.

Welcome to the forum.

Roger

Karl H

We are a bit guarded due to the economy and overflow of "Electricians"
really Handymen or HomeDepot 1.2.3 students under-bidding us and
creating Havoc in our trade. Change your profile from "Contractor"
to "EC" and introduce yourself. I, like the other members thought you
were a GC trying to do your own electrical work or a Handyman due to
your first post. This site is filled with VERY educated men and women willing to share their knowledge and opinions (like it or not) regarding the electrical
trade.

Welcome to the Forum! :smile:

B4T

Jerome.. don't take it personal. LOTS of "people" come to these forums looking for free advise instead of calling an EC. Stay here for a few months and you will see what I mean.

Welcome to the forum

C3PO

Not to be a jerk, but sometimes when a question like this comes from a contractor, I wonder how well he can use his NEC, or does he even open/own it. How does one get as far a being a contractor and not have or use a code book????????

Pierre, if you are ever in my neck of the woods look me up and I will show you all kinds of "electrical contractors" here that do not own a code book much less know how to read one. I agree it is sad.

rcarroll

I get several calls from EC's who don't want to run pipe or HCF cable or any other compliant method. "Too expensive. Can I just run 12/3 romex & tape the red wire green?" :roll: Or, no call & I do the inspection, & all romex or MC cable installed.

Duke E

There are a many people that may misrepresent themselves or just plain out lie and with that said, the way you asked the question did seem a bit odd for a licensed EC.

Welcome to the forum.

Roger

I was under the impression that anybody involved in the electrical trade was welcomed to post here, not electrical contractors exclusively. Personally I don?t care if a question comes from a Master Electrician or a Plumber. I would first prefer that the installation is correct, safe and to code.

Jerome.. don't take it personal.

That?s sound advice. If you really want to rattle some cages, ask if you can run speaker wire for your redundant ground. =)

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Had a guy screw one up the other day and his excuse was, that it was not stated on the plans that it needed to be wired per 517.

I told him, sorry I just "assumed" you would know that.:smile:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was under the impression that anybody involved in the electrical trade was welcomed to post here, not electrical contractors exclusively.
And your impression is correct, helpers, apprentices, LV installers, electricians, engineers, etc... are all welcome to post here, but if these people correctly identify themselves it helps the other members know what level the answer/reply should be geared to.

If the members know they are addressing a new person to the trade they will generally try to answer in a way that can be understood given the apprentices knowledge level

Red flags pop up when someone lists themselves as an EC and says something like (this is not aimed at the OP) "I ran #12 romex to a kitchen range and the inspector turned down my installation, what size wire should I have used?"

BTW, did you look at the OP's profile?

Roger

B4T

I still stand by my first impression.. he is a GC loooking to do his own wiring. His profile says "contractor" and I bet he got an estimate from a EC to rewire the building.

That seems to be the new rage of doing business. The prices are slashed to nothing and the GC is looking to save a buck where ever he can.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I still stand by my first impression.. he is a GC loooking to do his own wiring. His profile says "contractor" and I bet he got an estimate from a EC to rewire the building.

That seems to be the new rage of doing business. The prices are slashed to nothing and the GC is looking to save a buck where ever he can.

Maybe you missed that post, but he said he was a licensed master electrician. That's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.