Medicine Cabinet Recpetacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at # 3 below from 210.52. This would not allow this installation.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (5? ft) above the floor

Edit to add: This would not allow this installation to be the lone receptacle required.

If it is inside of the cabinet, it is still permitted. It would not meet the requirement for the minimum set forth for bathrooms, and an additional receptacle would be required.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am not sure that this install will lead to burning the house down. I had a medicine cabinet receptacle that was installed for more than fifty years, and the building is still standing.
How often have you run a hair dryer on it? I've seen the receptacle wires literally smoke from one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, the cabinet receptacle must be GFCi protected, and the 20a rule probably still requires a wall outlet, unless this bathroom is on a 20a circuit by itself, and the receptacle is wired with #12.
And, as has been pointed out, wired to be hot even when the light is off.

I still feel they're only useful for low-current devices, not 1500w +.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre's 210.52(2) above (as the sole receptacle.)

If the switch has nothing to do with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, (and it does not) then you can switch it.

You can switch every receptacle in the house just not from the same switch that controls a receptacle used to satisfy 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1.

hurk27

It's kind of funny that these med cabinets are still being made and sold today (I think Broan has them), I get them to install all the time because there cheep.
But at least the wire pigtails on the receptacle are #12 and the receptacle are grounded type, and the instructions do require it to be placed on a GFCI protected circuit. other then wiring them as per code, I don't see a problem with them as an additional receptacle to plug your rechargeable razor sitting in the med cabinet into, as I do mine lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.