elevator disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i installed a 100 amp 3 phase disconnect for an elevator and the elevator guy said the handle needs to be 18 inches away from the door.

it doesnt make sense to me since the elevator control room is for qualified people only

article 620 of the 2008 nec doesnt say anything about that.

the disconnect is to shut power off to the hydraulic pump and controls. i installed a seperate disconnect for the pit light and receptacle

walkerj

I have learned that the elevator guys have their own rules and are VERY picky.

Always ask them before mounting equipment.

As for your problem, I would ask the elevator guy:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i installed a 100 amp 3 phase disconnect for an elevator and the elevator guy said the handle needs to be 18 inches away from the door.
He's no different than anyone else. Ask to see it in writing.

If he resents it, say it's to do it right, not to question him.

Dolfan

I have learned that the elevator guys have their own rules and are VERY picky.

Always ask them before mounting equipment.

As for your problem, I would ask the elevator guy:D

I agree with you. Some of them think there arm pits don't stink. The shaft is there domain. It might have something to do with there code.

iwire

Staff member

Your going to move it closer to the door or the elevator will not ever run.

Trust me on this.

Also the disconnect you must provide for the car lights has to be that close to the door as well.

You know, the two pole 30 amp fusible disconnect with means to lock it off .......... you did include that right? :D

it doesnt make sense to me since the elevator control room is for qualified people only

Not much does when you work with the elevator dudes.

electricalperson

Your going to move it closer to the door or the elevator will not ever run.

Trust me on this.

Also the disconnect you must provide for the car lights has to be that close to the door as well.

You know, the two pole 30 amp fusible disconnect with means to lock it off .......... you did include that right? :D

Not much does when you work with the elevator dudes.

they said the disconnect for the pit is ok where it is. its a 30 amp 2 pole fused disconnect.

the GC said the state has there own inspectors that inspect this stuff.

the disconnect is mounted 22 inches off the door and they want it 18 inches. i hate it when people make there own specs for stuff and dont tell anybody. i was never told about this until the room was sheetrocked and ready to power up.

iwire

Staff member
they said the disconnect for the pit is ok where it is. its a 30 amp 2 pole fused disconnect.

Forget about the pit light, I have never seen a disco on that.

I am talking about the 120 volt single phase circuit that supplies the lights and fan in the moving cabin, that disconnect gets installed beside the motor disconnect.

i hate it when people make there own specs for stuff and don't tell anybody.

They are not making it up, it's in the elevator codes, I run into the same thing all over MA and RI without fail.

walkerj

the GC said the state has there own inspectors that inspect this stuff.

the disconnect is mounted 22 inches off the door and they want it 18 inches. i hate it when people make there own specs for stuff and dont tell anybody. i was never told about this until the room was sheetrocked and ready to power up.

You live and you learn...:smile:

Next time, I'm sure elevator equipment locations are going to be high on your list of questions before starting the job.

electricalperson

i wish we could act like the way those people do. demanding meaningless specs and not working until its done. i dont get it. whats the difference between the disconnect being 18 inches from the door or 24 inches from the door? its not an emergency disconnect. if they want an emergency disconnect then put a push button right next to the elevator and not behind a locked door.

what is the code book the elevator guys uses?

peter d

i wish we could act like the way those people do. demanding meaningless specs and not working until its done. i dont get it. whats the difference between the disconnect being 18 inches from the door or 24 inches from the door?

They're not "meaningless specs." They are codes just like the NEC.

iwire

Staff member
but why the 18 inches? i would like to see why that code is in there

You don't see this as kind of obvious?

So you can always shut the equipment down before entering the room at all. Keep in mind that this is not a new rule and probably goes back to the days when open relays on slate boards where being installed not to mention exposed moving parts that can eat you.

Original%20Controller.jpg

Granted now in new installations the moving parts are mostly guarded and the relays are now enclosed.

ceb58

I learned early that the elavator guy wins.

Not always. I had a elevator guy tell me the non-fusible disconnect I set was wrong. It was not lockable in the open position. When it was inspected by the Dept. of Labor ( they control inspections on elevators) he said it was fine It had the tab that a LOTO lock could be installed in after pulling the bar.

Karl H

Bob is right you will be moving that disconnect or that elevator will not run.
I made the same mistake in 2000, moved the disconnect and made a point
to be present for the elevator inspection. The inspector was very friendly
and answered a lot of my questions without any signs of annoyance
unlike the "Elevator Guy" that failed his inspection, due to the flooring
of the elevator being a 1/2 an inch above the landing level. Good Times!

They're not "meaningless specs." They are codes just like the NEC.

This is so true. The codes they follow are no different than ours in respect to the fact that they are to be followed. Yes these guys can be slightly arrogant, but....
We have run into this too many times.
It goes something like this
EC
" Pierre, they want me to move my elevator disconnect, I can't find this in the code."

I respond, " it is not in our code, it is the elevator code."E

EC, " that is just stupid." :grin:

electricalperson

This is so true. The codes they follow are no different than ours in respect to the fact that they are to be followed. Yes these guys can be slightly arrogant, but....
We have run into this too many times.
It goes something like this
EC
" Pierre, they want me to move my elevator disconnect, I can't find this in the code."

I respond, " it is not in our code, it is the elevator code."E

EC, " that is just stupid." :grin:

maybe somebody needs to put it on our code too or have an FPN to refer to the elevator code book for more rules

Status
Not open for further replies.