copper scraping

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVD001

My father in law is in the business and has told me the good and the bad. Most of the time the scales are in their favor. Put the copper on the scale before you get to the scrap yard so you know what you have plus or minus a few pounds. Take off as much insulation as you can, you get more money for it(#1 bright). Seperate your insulated wire from the non-insulated before you get to the scrap yard. If it is co-mingled, you'll get the lower of the two prices.

i got underweighed the other day by 12lbs, im gonna try a few different places the next few times i go. or just fight with the guy about how much weight i got on my own scale. i know they get that all the time from the junkies but i know what weight im going in with esp when its all #1 i stripped myself.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I got ticked off when they gave me a lower price for my stripped copper because it had oxidized and wasn't "bright". I had a whole barrel full too.

hardworkingstiff

I deal a lot with type W cable (rubber cord) in sizes from #4 to #4/0. I get a lot of scrap in 3-5' sections. I weighed a 5' piece, then stripped it to bare timing myself, then weighed it again. The price difference wasn't worth the time since I was being paid for more weight at a lower price. An interesting experiment.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The more you take in, the better price you'll usually get. If I take in aluminum, it pays around $1.50 a pound, but take in 100 lbs and you get $1.75 a pound, 200 lbs is $2.00 a pound, etc.

I don't know why it is, but I don't argue with someone giving me money.:D

cadpoint

The more you take in, the better price you'll usually get. If I take in aluminum, it pays around $1.50 a pound, but take in 100 lbs and you get $1.75 a pound, 200 lbs is $2.00 a pound, etc.

I don't know why it is, but I don't argue with someone giving me money.:D

Well then, the local recycle man is banking alot of green on the alumimum and the copper, that price of AL is no where
near that price here, which by the way the AL is higher than the price of cooper, Go Figure ! :mad: :grin:

I would find out what all the prices that are available locally!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.