shared neutrals on same phase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just have to vent a little. I've been working at this facility and I have tried to be sure others understood why your not suppose to do that. But its been more than enough times ive seen where there were circuits ran with shared neutrals but they were on the 'same' phase!! this overloads the neutral when its ran the same size if the load is high enough.

So far , no melt downs, but attention to this detail needs to be made and ive mention it to my supervisors about 'this contracted' out work. Ok, Im done!! Thanks for listening(reading) :)!!

TOOL_5150

Yup Ive seen it many times. The 2 circuits' hots are fine, but the noodle keeps burning up. Its common around here to see a MWBC with both red and black landed on a tandem breaker.

~Matt

slick 50

I have argued this point many times and what some folks beleive is that you dont want to have 240vac in your outlet box on the other end and you dont want to have a 240vac neutral. That is what I have heard from the non beleivers of using different phases when sharing a neutral. They dont understand the theory end of it.:roll:

TOOL_5150

I have argued this point many times and what some folks beleive is that you dont want to have 240vac in your outlet box on the other end and you dont want to have a 240vac neutral. That is what I have heard from the non beleivers of using different phases when sharing a neutral. They dont understand the theory end of it.:roll:

That is the stupidest thing I have heard all month. Are these people electricians???

~Matt

slick 50

That is the stupidest thing I have heard all month. Are these people electricians???

~Matt

some people pick it up and learn quick and others can be in the trade for 25 years and still no nothing because they choose not to ever take the lead on anything. I have worked with guys that been in for 30 years that really don't know much. These people go to work from the neck down. LABORER:mad:

TOOL_5150

some people pick it up and learn quick and others can be in the trade for 25 years and still no nothing because they choose not to ever take the lead on anything. I have worked with guys that been in for 30 years that really don't know much. These people go to work from the neck down. LABORER:mad:

Man, thats not good... its those types of guys that can put you in danger by doing something ignorant. :roll:

~Matt

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Clamp a meter on to one of those neutrals for the others to see on a circuit you know is drawing more than 8A per leg. That should be enough ;)
Better yet, plug a hair dryer set to HI on each line, and let them hold the neutral in their hand. :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tell me how they plan on fulfilling the requirement 210.4 of the 2008 NEC if they install the ungrounded conductors on the same phase.

jeremysterling

I experienced this type of frustration while trying to explain the importance of identifying SABC's that were MWBC's to a boss at an apartment complex remodel seven years ago. If I could go in the kitchen and find 240V across two backsplash rcpts, everything was cool.

If I did not find 240V, I would go outside to the panel, and swap the laundry ckt (which had its own neutral) with one of the SABC's (there would be only 3 #12's in any given panel and the three 20A breakers were stacked A-B-A). I would not even reenter the unit after this swap.

Out of a crew of 10, only one other electrician understood why I was doing this.

MWBC seem so elementary to most of us. If someone cannot get this concept, maybe he or she should try another line of work.

quogueelectric

I think you may be correct, sometimes I need to be more careful about how I make fun.

And...
I was just kidding, do not parallel the EGC and the grounded conductor.

What really irritates me sometimes is that code changes are brought about specifically to accomodate the morons who dont know the difference. So everyone has to suffer for the few that cant learn thier trade.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i remodeled an old dollar general store last year that had the same problem.

i opened up the JB's on lighting circuits to find black, red, blue, yellow, and two "browns". the insulation on several had melted back into the pipe.

It would've saved the new tenants a lot of money if they'd just done it right the first time.

The building was originally 15k feet and split into a 10k and 5k several years ago. I think they made the mistake when splitting the service into two, because the original install looked fine, and the new service work looked awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.