old house new wiring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
MY boss just got asked to wire a house that has no service drop, house was relocated
to new address. Is he going to have to wire it to new code ? The original service is still
attached and located opposite side of where it needs to be located. Could you install
new service at desired location by poco then run feeder to old service panel ?

480sparky

In most places, it's going to be considered as new wiring, so it would need to be to current codes. Anything less will need to be addressed & changed/fixed/replaced.

PetrosA

This should be interesting ;) If this is what I'm thinking, like a stone or brick house jacked up and towed to a new location, I'd think just for safety sake you'd want to at least check for shorts in the wiring, if not rewire the whole thing, but that's my personal opinion...

electricalperson

MY boss just got asked to wire a house that has no service drop, house was relocated
to new address. Is he going to have to wire it to new code ? The original service is still
attached and located opposite side of where it needs to be located. Could you install

i would put a meter/breaker combo socket outside and run a SER to the old panel. make sure you seperate grounds and neutrals. might be easier if you replace the panel with a new one if its old fuses or something

celtic

If the house was moved to NJ - it would be covered under the "Rehab Code"....slap on a service to Poco's specs and move in :D

Are we sure this is not covered under a "Relocatable Power Tap"?;):cool::grin:

electricmanscott

This should be interesting ;) If this is what I'm thinking, like a stone or brick house jacked up and towed to a new location, I'd think just for safety sake you'd want to at least check for shorts in the wiring, if not rewire the whole thing, but that's my personal opinion...

Why ? :confused:

growler

The house probably won't need to be rewired but it's going to be a little more complicated than just getting the service hooked up.

Ever who moved it would have needed permits to move it and this will involve getting a new certificate of occupancy. The local authorities will get to inspect the house for safety. Everything, electrical, gas , plumbing and foundation.

The best thing to do is to go and inspect the house and see what type of condition the original wiring is in. Then contact the local authorities and see if whatever you plan to do will meet the their requirements.

If the wiring is in good shape ( at least safe) then a meter/main combo and reground the system to include all bonding will probably getter done but the may make you install GFCIs and smoke detectors. It's just safer to check with the local AHJ before getting involved or giving a price.

PetrosA

depending on the age and kind of the wiring, I would think the flexing that might take place during jacking and the tow could cause damage in "tightly" fished areas. Especially some of the baseboard mounted recepts on outside walls would concern me (in my experience, these tend to be the ones where wire likely touches either the brick and the metal box, or brick and a floor joist). But since I've never had a chance to actually work on a project like that, this is just my own conjecture.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician

I am very interested in how a project like this gets started, could you guys elaborate
how a project like this is worked from inside the office ? I am looking to get more familiar
with bidding/estimating for my own personnel knowledge and would like some help. My
boss seems to avoid questions like these !

i imagine if the panel was in the basement they just cut it off and left it with the old foundation. either way circuits will need to be rerouted or extended to suit the new location on that side or the other side of the house. sounds like a cool job to do. let us know how it goes.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
It's not a house!!!!

It's not a house!!!!

This building that We thought was a house isactually a church, the owner wants to turn it into a house. I imagine that the building would have to be wired to current code for
residential . 25 x 75 long wooden frame house church.

Status
Not open for further replies.