elevator disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl H

Your really going to love the Energy Codes. Watts per Sq/ft, per task,
per catagory, per occupancy,per lighting control method, and don't
forget daylight areas and the additional controls for those areas. :smile:

JAMAN

i installed a 100 amp 3 phase disconnect for an elevator and the elevator guy said the handle needs to be 18 inches away from the door.

it doesnt make sense to me since the elevator control room is for qualified people only

article 620 of the 2008 nec doesnt say anything about that.

the disconnect is to shut power off to the hydraulic pump and controls. i installed a seperate disconnect for the pit light and receptacle

It's a requirement per the MA Elevator Code (524 CMR 17.34(2)). Here's a little snip, "The switch shall be located not more than 18" from the lock-jamb side of the entrance door and should not extend more than 5'-6" above the finished floor"

bobsherwood

This is what makes me mad. Here in Dallas Texas, after the annual inspection, the inspector wrote up that I have to change the safety switch to a fused disconnect. WHY??? Makes no sense! It's in his code that way but, gosh the circuit is already either fused or on a breaker... AND SIZED CORRECTLY! ???

cpal

I did my first elevator in 1970 fortunately the installer was present and made sure I was aware of the disconnect location pri to install.

That 18" rule has been around at least a few years :)

iwire

Staff member
This is what makes me mad. Here in Dallas Texas, after the annual inspection, the inspector wrote up that I have to change the safety switch to a fused disconnect. WHY??? Makes no sense! It's in his code that way but, gosh the circuit is already either fused or on a breaker... AND SIZED CORRECTLY! ???

Usually they are not really preferring fuses over breakers as much as wanting a 'visible break' disconnecting means.

Power companies ask for this as well for a PV system disconnecting means.

charlietuna

Elevator equipment requires a special rated fuse with fuse rejection clips as i remember--without a fused disconnect this would be hard to enforce. Elevator disconnects are a major problem in overheating contacts which we found during infrared inspections. If the disconnect is close to 80% of the amperage drawn by the equipment it is on it's way to failure...

Davis9

What happens when there is more than 1,2, or 3(or more) Elevators?

Just wondering aloud.

Tom:-?

Never mind I found it, they are to be grouped together as close as possible.

Last edited:

Davis9

Usually they are not really preferring fuses over breakers as much as wanting a 'visible break' disconnecting means.

Power companies ask for this as well for a PV system disconnecting means.

Circuit breakers are allowed in MA, just can't be instantaneous type and not opened by the FA automatically.

Tom

Just a tidbit of info.

electricalperson

where can i buy the MA elevator code? is it even worth buying?

i suppose the NEC cant put those codes in there because im dealing with massachusetts laws. sorry for bashing elevator codes just frustrated with that situation. i fixed it now and all is well :) just more experience for me thats all

slredmond

You guys are pretty hard on Elevator guys. I am an Elevator Electrician in Maine and as we have to follow the NEC 2008 we have to also follow 17.1 2000 or 2005 (it just changed) as well as several Maine changes related to to location of disconnects and working space.

SL Redmond

luckyshadow

I always tell guys that your first elevator is your learning curve.
From there on you will know what to do, where to do it ,& when.
There really not difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.