Help with lighting for a clothibg boutiuqe

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_p

I am involved with a tenant improvement project. This is going to be a clothing boutique.

The floor area is approx. 25X40 with 9' ceilings.

The new tenant wants recessed cans, that deliver "lots of light that will not distort color and not produce heat".

He states that he has seen the type of lighting in big clothing shops in the Phoenix area. (we live in a small town where he is attempting to find this type of lighting)

I told him that halogen / metal halide lighting is probably what he is seeing but that they produce heat but since the ceilings are usually higher it may not seem like they are hot.

I explained that BR30 style lamps are available now in brite white and daylight colors but he does not seem to like these.

Are there other types of lights available that I am not aware of?

Of course, money is an issue so out goes leds.

Thanks for any help.

wireguru

if money is an issue the metal halide might be an issue too. Arent those a few hundred a fixture? I dont know how they would work with the thermal cutout in IC cans, but what about the Phillips Cool Beam halogen par lamps? Light out the front, 75% of the heat out the back...

I am involved with a tenant improvement project. This is going to be a clothing boutique.

The floor area is approx. 25X40 with 9' ceilings.

The new tenant wants recessed cans, that deliver "lots of light that will not distort color and not produce heat".

He states that he has seen the type of lighting in big clothing shops in the Phoenix area. (we live in a small town where he is attempting to find this type of lighting)

I told him that halogen / metal halide lighting is probably what he is seeing but that they produce heat but since the ceilings are usually higher it may not seem like they are hot.

I explained that BR30 style lamps are available now in brite white and daylight colors but he does not seem to like these.

Are there other types of lights available that I am not aware of?

Of course, money is an issue so out goes leds.

Thanks for any help.

Phillips, Sylvania or GE would be more than happy to help you, but use them to educate you, otherwise they steer you toward their solution. AFAIK the choice is special color stabilized MH halide that is constant color, meaning that they have the same specturm content from batch to batch AND it retains the same content throughout the entire life of the bulb. Expensive and has a short life when compared to others MH's.

Good light will not come free. In a boutique, and in merchandizing generally, you want to be able to have color control and light control. In other words you want certain areas to have more light than others to 'draw' the curtomer's attention. Fluorescents are a good economic choice, but perform miserably in this later respect because they are good at general lighting but can not use it highlighting. I did a job for a friend and had the same concerns. Wound up using indirect flurescent all around the perimeter with special spectral parameters and MH cans in the areas that needed focusing. You can look into LED floods in the focus area to combine it with fluorescent perimeter, but ask for samples ahead to see that you have a good color match between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.