Not open for further replies.

MBLES

Hello Guys I have been reading this forum but hadn't registered, I get alot
of useful info. all the time and decided to join because I recently decided to
start my small electrical shop. I have ( 9 to 5 ) with a shop, but I always
have had luck with side jobs. I recently became a mast/contract and decided
because of the economy and work being slow I would at least be legal doing
my side jobs. Please dont hate me for doing side jobs, and I wont apologize
for that. I'm legal now and thats all that matters to me! MY questions I will have, will be about permitting, bids, and load anaysis. My jobs usually consist of service calls and small add-ons. to lease spaces and machine shops. I had
a short list of customers but it seems i just added 2 more. I try asking my
boss but I dont want him thinking I'm taking his material or customers. I know
you guys will help! PLEASE!!!!!!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
. Please dont hate me for doing side jobs, and I wont apologize
for that. I'm legal now and thats all that matters to me!

Fair enough. Lets all forget about that part and move on to the rest of the question.

MY questions I will have, will be about permitting, bids, and load anaysis.

You may have to explain these more in-depth.

Permitting; This is going to depend on your location, which you have not listed. Permitting for me is a very simple process. For non-commercial, I go online to the city hall website, enter the address and a short description and I'm done. Commercial/Industrial can be done the same way, but I have to fax or drop off a riser diagram and load calc, unless it is already on the prints turned in by the GC. The areas you work in are going to have their own requirements, and you will need to contact each of them and get the information.

Bids; Estimate a price, write a contract, deliver to GC. There will be times when you are required to submit a bid bond, write a check, etc. . . . The terms will be in writing. I do very little of these types of bids, so someone else will have to give you more info on that.

Load Analysis; Are you talking about load calcs? Start with article 220 of the NEC

MBLES

My load calc question is not pertain to the code. Its more like when i submit
my drawing/plans/prints. For example lets say a customer wants new service
for his house there is no existing service. I do my residential load calc. then what ? I live in Hou/Tex we also apply for permits on line I believe the same as you stated for where you live.

ohm

Please dont hate me for doing side jobs

No need to apologize MBLES, I'll bet there is not a member here who has not done a side job befoer of after working for someone else.

You seem to understand taking names or material from your present employer is wrong and asking for his advice or help now is probably more than he could handle.

I would say your income needs a boost or if the shop cuts back on your hours you have every right to try your wings.

I think you need to get all the necessary business licenses, insurance, truck and tools to ease into your own business.

But, getting an EC/masters is just a start..you will loose the planning, capital, security and experience your boss lends you... keep cramming, plan every job the boss gives you and try to figure out why he does what he does.

If you can ask the right questions and show an interest in his part of the business I'll bet he makes your job and compensation a lot sweeter.

Welcome aboard!

Whenever it gets slow, the trend of journeymen getting a license seems to increase.

The fact that you have procured a license and most likely some of the overhead that goes with a license shows some initiative.
Good luck...Oh, do not forget to keep doing a good job for your boss while under his employ.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
for his house there is no existing service. I do my residential load calc. then what ? I live in Hou/Tex we also apply for permits on line I believe the same as you stated for where you live.

I'm not completely understanding;

Let me preface by saying I never give a copy of a load calc to the customer in residential work. I would if they ask for it, but they've never asked, and I don't do anything official; its just something I scribble in a notepad.

But I gather the company you work for now gives a copy to the homeowner, or you think they do. Is that correct?

Is it required there?

MBLES

I'm not completely understanding;

Let me preface by saying I never give a copy of a load calc to the customer in residential work. I would if they ask for it, but they've never asked, and I don't do anything official; its just something I scribble in a notepad.

But I gather the company you work for now gives a copy to the homeowner, or you think they do. Is that correct?

Is it required there?

I am trying to give an example: I have a house that need new service to an existing home. I just need step 1,2,3,4 etc. There is no house. I am trying to understand the political side of contracting,such as permit, drawings, bids, estinmates, I just want to know as a contractor basically WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

active1

"MY questions I will have, will be about permitting, bids, and load anaysis."

Reminds me of this thread about a week ago:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=113648

Any books on Business inside the office such as load calculations, how to pull permits,
res/comm load analysis for existing building, and new service applications. My boss seems
threatend....

Welcome to the site.

I don't know why some people don't want to enter their location in their profile. Sometimes it can help you get a more detailed responce as it relates to your location. Such as permiting requirements very greatly by location. You did say TX later, some don't read every post in a thread.

"Its more like when i submit my drawing/plans/prints. For example lets say a customer wants new service for his house there is no existing service."

Well that would most likely be new construction. I would hope there is a set of plans for this from an arkitekt. Most of the time it would allready have the electrical on it. At worst it would be a blueprint with no electrical because someone cheaped out. Then you need to charge to create the electrical pages on the plans. Disclaimer - maybe some places or jobs need to have stamped drawings from an engineer or arkitekt.

growler

I'm thinking that Texas is much like it is here for getting permits. The first thing you have to do to get a permit in your company name is to start a business. This means that you will have to get a business license and this may require proof of insurance or local bonding ( this is handled at the local level). Once they have your information on file you can start to use the automated system ( you get the first permit in person and give them your business information).

OK you wish to hypothectically permit a house that has never had service. If it's never had service that means it's in the new construction process. That means that there is either a general contractor or homeowner acting as GC that has submitted plans and obtained permits for the whole project. In most areas all you need to do is sign in as the electrical contractor of record for the project. Do the work and call for inspections.

It's a good idea to do a load calculation for a new home. For many years a 200 Amp service would cover most any home but that's not true today. There are homes with multiple heat pumps (electric heat) and instant hot water heaters ( big load) and with the hot tubs and other loads it possible to add up pretty quick.

I do a load calculation with information given at the start of a job and ask questions about future loads so as to plan for future expansion. I keep a copy of this for my records. If the cutomer wants to add a big load a couple of years down the road and they don't want to plan for it then that's their problem.

Don't worry about it, the permitting process is the easiest thing in the world. They will either issue you a permit with the information you provide or they will request additional information.

What you do need to watch out for are local codes. There are areas here where all new residential service must be underground or have a variance ( special official permission). Start talking to your local inspectors and get to know them when they come out to inspect jobs, they can give you much information.

If you want you can probably down load a permit application form an try to fill it out. This will be good practice to see if you have any questions.

growler

I am trying to give an example: I have a house that need new service to an existing home. I just need step 1,2,3,4 etc. There is no house. I am trying to understand the political side of contracting,such as permit, drawings, bids, estinmates, I just want to know as a contractor basically WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Ok, Paint by numbers.

Step #1. The first step is to decide if you even want to be involved with the project in the first place. Is the job being run by a GC or homeowner, do the have all the plans needed , do they have a tenative start and completion date, do they have the experience and money to complete the job? Don't jump on every job that comes along or you will be sorry.

Step #2. Make sure they have obtained all the proper permits or in the process of doing so. Make sure that you know what you are bidding. Either they have complete drawing or you are going to need to come up with a layout and scope of work yourself.

Step #3. If you decide that you want to be involved with the project and can get a clear idea of what's wanted and needed then it's time to bid the work. Make sure you bid states what you will do ( and provide ) and also what you will not do for the said amount of money. Be open and clear about this information and there won't be problems later. If your bid is accepted then get a check to get the process rolling ( until now you are not really involved ). Once you start to get a permit then you have time and money invested in the project so start getting paid for it.

Step #4. You start the project and plan to complete in a timely fashion. Call for inspections as needed. Collect your money as you go and make sure there is very little left a the time of completion. Once the job is completed and all paperwork signed off they may not be a quick to pay.

emahler

MBELS, just bear in mind you probably won't get the key to the golden city...the truth is you are the employee of every contractor on here with employees...while some will help without reservation, and some with give misinformation just to mess with, most will give guarded answers...because they don't really want your boss giving their employees answers behind their back...

but you will get lots of useful answers and good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.