680.22(A) Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually did a search here and did not find what I was looking for, so I am asking this question...hopefully not repeating it again.

This is a question we are having at our local IAEI Chapter meeting.

When installing the cord for the pool pump facilitating flexibility, can "Woodheads" be used, or are receptacles required.
(Woodheads are a brand name)

Here is an installation with Woodheads.
boots.jpg

Here is an installation with a receptacle.
PumpCordConnection5.jpg

PumpCordConnection7.jpg

480sparky

I'd say first look at the definition of a receptacle.

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

I think the key word here is 'yoke'. Woodheads would not have a yoke, and therefore not qualify as a receptacle.

iwire

Staff member
It is not a receptacle it is a cord connector, therefore 680.22(A) does not apply at all.

Call it an oversight or call it intentional but it says what it says and does not say what it doesn't say. :smile:

mpd

if the branch circuit wiring ends at the cord connector, then i am thinking the wiring method is a violation? any thoughts? interesting picture i have never seen anybody do that and i wonder if it is cost effective

iwire

Staff member
if the branch circuit wiring ends at the cord connector, then i am thinking the wiring method is a violation? any thoughts? interesting picture i have never seen anybody do that and i wonder if it is cost effective

It is done all the time with motors in factories and processing plants where quick swap outs are needed.

wireguru

in the first picture, those type of plug/connectors are waterproof when mated. I wouldnt refer to them as woodheads since woodhead makes a variety of connectors, and it could cause someone to order the wrong one. Leviton makes these -they call them 'wetguard'. Hubbell makes them too, i forget their name, so does ericson.

Is it ok to use junior cord in an application like this? I would think extra hard service cord would be in order. I would also use something like the yellow super vu-tron where exposed to sunlight and pool water. Black SO/SJO deteriorates in sunlight after a couple years. I dont know what pool water and chemicals does to it.

B4T

I was told by an inspector that T-11 boxes could not be used for a pool because of corrosion where you bolt through the box to attach the #8 to GEC using nut and bolt. In the pics I see (2) T-11 boxes being used :confused:

joebell

That particuliar device appears to be from the "Watertite" line of woodhead products and they are listed for that type of enviroment.

As for cost effectivness I installed some of this line in a clean room and I remember those devices were not cheap.

I agree with the others that say this is not a receptacle by the definition in article 100 and is in violation with 680.22(A). Maybe a proposal item for someone to submit next cycle to allow this installation in the future.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was told by an inspector that T-11 boxes could not be used for a pool because of corrosion where you bolt through the box to attach the #8 to GEC using nut and bolt. In the pics I see (2) T-11 boxes being used :confused:

Those T-11 boxes are for the pool pump. There is no #8 to GEC???? The T-11 would not be allowed for pool lights but are perfectly legit for the pumps.

The #8 bonding does not connect to the box on a pump but does so on the pool lights.

B4T

What about for a pool where there is no light. Then you have to bolt throught to connect #8 to GC. Then a T-11 box would be wrong.. right??

Davis9

I see no violation at all, 680.22(A) does not apply to cord connectors nor does it prohibit cord connectors.

Where in 680 22 (A) does it allow the female cord end? I don't see that as a wiring method allowed? The other methods do list cord and PLUG connection but not cord and connector as called by the manufacturers. AFAIKT the cord is not a listed wiring method for the Branch circuit?

Tom

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Common sense would dictate that the first example is a shock hazard as the connector can be set down or picked up from a puddle of water whereas the receptacle cannot.
That set of cord connections is listed as suitable for immersion.
When properly mated with corresponding connectors, Watertite? devices form an enclosure that meets the requirements of NEMA Type 4, 4X, 6 and 6P, IP65, 66 and 67, and can resist high-pressure hose-down up to 1,000 psi.
NEMA 6 ? Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against incidental contact with the enclosed equipment; to provide a degree of protection against falling dirt; against hose-directed water and the entry of water during occasional temporary submersion at a limited depth; and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.
NEMA 6P ? Same as NEMA 6 including protection against the entry of water during prolonged submersion at a limited depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.