680.22(A) Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davis9

Doesn't 680.21(A)(5) cord and plug connections say we can do this.

I think for the motor side but the Branch circuit side?

It says cord and plug connections, I see more than 1 type of connection there? And it's not a Receptacle(per definition). It is referred to as a connector. I don't see that listed as a Wiring method listed in 680 21 (A)(1)-(5)?

Tom:-?
Probably wrong but makes for lively discussion.:grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What about for a pool where there is no light. Then you have to bolt throught to connect #8 to GC. Then a T-11 box would be wrong.. right??

Sometimes there is no connection of the bonding wire to any electrical. Suppose there is no pool light and a double insulated motor. In this case the epb wire just connects all the metal rebar etc specifed in 680.26 and ends at the pool pump where no connection is made. The wire must be left there in the event that other electrical equipment is added. Sometime the pool motor would be changed to a non insulated motor in which case the bonding wire would then connect to the pump.

There is no direct connection between the epb wire and any other wiring except thru the casing of a motor, etc as mentioned earlier.

To answer the question the T-11 box is fine and never gets the #8 equipotential bond connected to it.

Davis9

Right but it lists acceptable branch circuit wiring methods, I do not see SO or SJO as one of them?

Tom

What I'm getting at is, what stops me from running 200' of SO back to the panel? Where is the line for footage?

iwire

Staff member
Right but it lists acceptable branch circuit wiring methods, I do not see SO or SJO as one of them?

Cord is not a wiring method at all, but we can use it as per Article 400.

What I'm getting at is, what stops me from running 200' of SO back to the panel?

Your own sense of pride. :cool:

Also IMO 400.8(1) would prohibit that.

Davis9

Where in Wiring methods for this section is it allowed, IMO if it is installed before the cord and plug it is a wiring method, no?

Tom

iwire

Staff member
680.21 (A), does not permit a flexible cord for branch circuit wiring

IMO it is not branch circuit wiring any more then the factory installed cord on a pump.

And again that section is called wiring methods, cord is not a wiring method.

480sparky

680.21 (A), does not permit a flexible cord for branch circuit wiring

400.7(A)(7) and (9) seems to say it can, then 400.8(1) says it can't.
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

mpd

IMO it is not branch circuit wiring any more then the factory installed cord on a pump.

And again that section is called wiring methods, cord is not a wiring method.

that looks like a field installed cord, and where does the branch circuit wiring end, i would think where the cord connector is

iwire

Staff member
that looks like a field installed cord, and where does the branch circuit wiring end, i would think where the cord connector is

Lets say I agree with that point.

Per the NEC cord is not currently a 'wiring method'. Maybe it used to be called a wiring method?

mpd

Per the NEC cord is not currently a 'wiring method'. Maybe it used to be called a wiring method?

but if it is branch circuit wiring it is not permitted to be used per 680.21 (A) (1), what do you think?

Davis9

Exactly, it isn't a wiring method but it is being used as such since there is a permanent connection to the junction box.

Tom

iwire

Staff member
Exactly, it isn't a wiring method but it is being used as such since there is a permanent connection to the junction box.

That may be the best argument yet, 400.7(A)(6) or (8) specifically allows cord to be used but 400.7(B) requires those cords to be energized from a receptacle.

Davis9

Hopefully Pierre will see all of this and make a determination of his own and let us know what he thinks.

Tom:smile:

PetrosA

Here I go again ;)

/begin rant

I'm not going to speak to conformity to code, but to what I'd like to see in the future.

The cord ends in the first picture are fool proof in the sense that you don't get the connection until the waterproof (IP66) conditions are met. An "in-use" cover is far from foolproof, as the cover on the right in the second photo clearly shows, and this is a dedicated wet-environment connection! When are we going to adopt better standards?

This link is for IP66 compliant ends and receptacles, which could all be made to a lower "residential" or "spec" grade standard to reduce price while maintaining the IP66 rating. "In-use" is a joke if the intent is to create a true safe use practice. Wouldn't it be better and safer if outdoor/wet environment products were made to conform to a truly waterproof standard?

/end rant

Status
Not open for further replies.