Outside load center for a home

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Is there any requirement that a load center be inside a home? Saw a home yesterday with a Siemens W3040B1200CU load center - all outside. No service equipment is interior.

ericsherman37

My old neighbor at my old house had his panel right next to his front door, outside.

Doorbell, wall-mounted mail box, "home sweet home" painted tile, then a panel. It was really ugly.

So yeah, i'd say it's permitted but the panel has to be designed for the outdoor location.... rain and wind and all that....

480sparky

Here's a couple photos I was able to find: (Not my work!!!!!!)

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

tonype

Thanks for the quick reply.

Outside locations are kinda sucky though, especially when it is snowing, zero degrees and something trips!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
wow! can we play "count the violations" :D

(being outside, not being a violation)

(sparkey, you were quick to disavow the job)

480sparky

wow! can we play "count the violations" :D

(being outside, not being a violation)

(sparkey, you were quick to disavow the job)

I can't claim the work because it's not done that way here.

I ain't gonna stop you. I noticed some myself, so knock yourself out!

There are jurisdictions where you will not see any service disconnecting means inside.

I have had many electricians say to me that service disconnects/panels should be banned from outside locations...I never could understand why they say this.

nakulak

when I upgraged my service I put a fused disco outside. I think every house should have one for the fireman.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
In the first picture... what is that strap attaching the service mast to the wall?

Minerallac strap, aka the minnie.

I have had many electricians say to me that service disconnects/panels should be banned from outside locations...I never could understand why they say this.

That's pretty stupid IMO. So stupid, I wouldn't even dignify it with a response had someone told me that.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Never been outside the NE corridor, have you?

Very common in many parts of the country.

Not common here at all. Given the fact that most houses have basements or garages you'll rarely see the panel on the outside of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.