rg6 compression connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

jernst

I have only been able to find one RG6 F-connector (compression) for the particular type of cable that I am using. The manufacturer only lists one F-connector that will fit their cable, the only problem is that it is not UL listed. They say that it is SCTE compliant, but does that even matter? Does the connector have to be listed in order for me to use it?
-Thank You

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
I have only been able to find one RG6 F-connector (compression) for the particular type of cable that I am using. The manufacturer only lists one F-connector that will fit their cable, the only problem is that it is not UL listed. They say that it is SCTE compliant, but does that even matter? Does the connector have to be listed in order for me to use it?
-Thank You
What exactly is the cable you are using? As with any other standard, if you use materials/equipment that meets the SCTE minimum requirement, you are all but guaranteed proper performance.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have never seen a fitting that is UL listed. I wouldn't worry about that as much as you installing them properly with the proper tools. Much has been written here about the proper cable to use. Perhaps what you have is not something that is usual. What cable is it?

-Hal

jernst

Belden is the manufacturer, it is # 1694A, and the only connector I could find that was a F-connector compression style is from "White Sands" # SLC6Q. They had many other crimp style connectors but I recently purchased the Ideal OmniSeal XL compression connector, so of course I would like to use that. Also I have heard many good things about this type of cable from Belden, has anyone else heard anything about it?
-Thank You

hbiss

Occupation
EC
That's a video snake cable. Multiple RG6s with foil over a tinned copper braid. No wonder you can't find anything to fit, not your everyday cable. Normally you would use BNCs and if you are looking for compression BNCs or RCA I can see where the problem is. I think if you want to use that stuff you are stuck with their recommendation. What are you using it for?

-Hal

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
Belden is the manufacturer, it is # 1694A, and the only connector I could find that was a F-connector compression style is from "White Sands" # SLC6Q. They had many other crimp style connectors but I recently purchased the Ideal OmniSeal XL compression connector, so of course I would like to use that. Also I have heard many good things about this type of cable from Belden, has anyone else heard anything about it?
-Thank You
You can also get some SLC6Qs here.

jernst

I found this cable in a "homechoice" catalog. It is what Belden recommends for residential digital cable with the F-connectors. I was planning on upgrading some existing coax to this new cable, and then probably use the rest for patch cable in the future.
-Jack

hbiss

Occupation
EC
What do you mean by digital cable? Cable TV, sat or something else? It's just that this is not something I would use for CATV or satellite.

Also who is "Homechoice"?

-Hal

jernst

Homechoice is Belden's residential line of products, and I didnt mean to say digital cable, I meant CATV. It listed this type of cable for residential CATV applications

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Look at it this way. It may be your cable but the cable company is responsible for it. The cable guy is going to come and cut off your fittings and install his own and provide the distribution. If there is only one fitting that is supposed to be used with that cable what are the chances the cable company uses them? None.

That's why I always recommend that you use the same type cable that the cable company uses. Junk like that Belden stuff is only going to cause you problems. I certainly don't want to imply that Belden is junk but something like this aimed at homeowners is.

-Hal

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
Deja Vu??? I had this same conversation with someone a few months ago.

Two things about 1694A. First is its size. Standard dual-shield cable has an O.D. of .270". 1694A's O.D. is .274". Standard fittings are made for cable with an O.D. of .270". Quad-shield cable has an O.D. of .298". While fittings made for quad cable (such as the SLC6Q) may be able to go onto 1694A, there won't be a proper fit. Tri-shield cable has an O.D. of .275". That's pretty darn close to the O.D. of 1694A. Fittings for Tri-shield cable would resolve that issue. PCT fittings (DRS6) are for standard thru Tri-shield cable.

Now it's on to the 2nd thing (More Important). The foil shield on the coax used for CATV needs to be BONDED to the dielectric. 1694A's foil is not bonded. What happens is that when the cable gets flexed (either during installation if it's in-wall or during everyday use if not in-wall), the foil crinkles and loss of shielding occurs. That loss of shielding results in ingress/egress. Ingress can cause picture problems and other performance issues (related to packet loss).

If it must be Belden, use either 9116 or 1829A.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
What do you mean by digital cable? Cable TV, sat or something else? It's just that this is not something I would use for CATV or satellite.
-Hal
Cable TV is generally used to refer to everything the cable company offers, which includes Analog (the form of modulation that has been around for 60+ years and will be going away within the next few years), Digital (newer, more efficient form of modulation that will be around for many years to come), VoIP, and Internet.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Now it's on to the 2nd thing (More Important). The foil shield on the coax used for CATV needs to be BONDED to the dielectric.

Good catch, I missed that by not looking at the specs. That is very important- I can't believe a major manufacturer still makes a cable for this application with an unbonded foil shield. That is VERY old tech. Must be from the Belden China division.:rolleyes:

-Hal

jernst

So what should the cable be swept to? I thought it was supposed to be swept to 3GHz, or does it only have to be to 1GHz?
-Jack

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
In my world, 1694A is used for analog composite or serial digital video, not CATV. The connectors are crimp-ons from Kings designed for the cable. I use Belden 1505A for shorter runs. For our in-house CATV, I'm not real picky...I use whatever RG-6 happens to be on sale at the supply house, and compression F's, of course.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
...that's what I used for the RGB/HV cables I made for my CRT projector, with good-quality gold-plated BNC connectors.

That was my impression of what it was supposed to be used for.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.