Indoor Whirlpoor GFCI Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorsix

I have a customer who called and said there whirlpool in the master bathroom is not GFCI protected.

I haven't looked at the job yet but Article 680.5 says I can use a GFCI circuit breaker for that application.

My question is I guess the GFCI doesn't have to be in the same room as the whirlpool?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a customer who called and said there whirlpool in the master bathroom is not GFCI protected.

I haven't looked at the job yet but Article 680.5 says I can use a GFCI circuit breaker for that application.

My question is I guess the GFCI doesn't have to be in the same room as the whirlpool?

Thanks

A GFCI breaker is fine although there should be a disconnect for the tub.

I suspect the GFCI is under the tub where the motor is located. Dumb -- yes but I have seen other EC's do that.

480sparky

Thanks

680.5 Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters.
Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) shall be self-contained units, circuit-breaker or receptacle types, or other listed types.

..........although there should be a disconnect for the tub.......

Unplug it.

horrorsix

I haven't look at the job yet but I guess the homeowner just bought this place and had it inspected. So I guess it's code to have a disconnect by the tub. I'm not sure but it sounds like it's just hardwired direct to the panel box right now.

480sparky

Do you think I don't know that a cord and plug is a disconnect? :-? .

Not dissin' ya, Dennis. Just posting it for those who are lurking n learnin.

I was trying to remind the op that there would probably be a gfci under the tub being used as a disco.

And hopefully accessible. I shudder to think how many there are out there buried underneath the units that one would have to get creative in their demo methods to reach. And all in the name of 'looks'. HO doesn't like the 'looks' of an access panel, so it gets buried.

..... I'm not sure but it sounds like it's just hardwired direct to the panel box right now.

The panel's in the bathroom???
z133.gif
Say it isn't so!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.