water proof splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Here's a pix of a splice I did last fall.

The heat shrink is listed for underground use. As it's heated, there's a compound on the inner lining that seals the splice. It ooozes out the end like tree sap.

DSC_1808a.jpg

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Waterproof splices are required to be listed for the purpose.

Here's a pix of a splice I did last fall.
The heat shrink is listed for underground use. As it's heated, there's a compound on the inner lining that seals the splice. It ooozes out the end like tree sap.

That's great pic and I love that heat shrink. I use it a lot in dusty and possible corosive enviroments. Unfortunately as Pierre said the splice has to be listed waterproof so a dry-only butt splice with heat shrink = not compliant.

Just pick up something like this:

perma-seal-butt-splices-sm.jpg

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com...m=cpc&utm_term=631101&utm_campaign=googlebase

realolman

they make heat shrink for splicing wire in submersible pump applications.

when it's done it looks like it has glue coming out of the ends sealing the wires.

Maybe I should read the previous posts earlier.

tkb

Waterproof splices are required to be listed for the purpose.

Couldn't you use a regular butt splice with a cold shrink or heat shrink that is listed for direct burial or wet location?

I don't think I ever saw a butt splice alone listed for DB or wet.

Split bolts are used all the time outdoors and they are not listed for wet locations.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Couldn't you use a regular butt splice with a cold shrink or heat shrink that is listed for direct burial or wet location?

I don't think I ever saw a butt splice alone listed for DB or wet.

Split bolts are used all the time outdoors and they are not listed for wet locations.

Starting to rethink this.... are the interior of enclosures above grade wet locations?... I don't think they are....

Whatever the case an underground splice has to be listed for direct burial. covering a non compliant splice with anything (heat shrink, silicone, glue whatever) doesn't make it compliant....

tkb

Tim
I was replying to the heat shrink post. There are some heat shrinks that are not listed for wet locations.

I understand that but there was a comment that the splice itself and the covering needed to be listed for a wet location.
I am saying that only the cold or heat shrink be rated for a DB or wet location.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
I understand that but there was a comment that the splice itself and the covering needed to be listed for a wet location.
I am saying that only the cold or heat shrink be rated for a DB or wet location.

It depends on how the following is interpreted. I personally think that the splicing means itself must be DB listed....

"Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors
for direct burial shall be listed for such use."

Status
Not open for further replies.