What do you pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
$0.13 per kwh.

Last 30 day period we used 1091 kwh and we were charged 146.90. This includes all fuel charges, delivery charges, taxes and any other charge they can think of. :rolleyes:

146.90/1091=0.1346

I suggest all responders to this post use the above method to figure there real cost per kwh.

The OP specifically asked for the base price without the other charges, taxes etc

hardworkingstiff

Wilmington, NC my average use for the last 7-months has been 1,062.57 KWH/month.

Average bill before taxes/credits = $110.46.

Average bill after taxes/credits = $110.11.

Average cost per KWH after taxes/credits = $.1037 per KWH.

ericsherman37

$.05870

about 5.87 cents per kWH I guess.

We're supplied by a local PUD which buys their power from Bonneville Power Administration. Hydroelectric power, mostly.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Last month we used 1231 kWh and the total bill was $128.75.
The delivery charge is 0.02768/kWh and the energy charge for the first 800 kWh is 0.07957/kWh and for the usage that exceeds 800kWh the energy charge is 0.01024/kWh. This is the non-summer rates. They will be substantially higher next month when the summer rates kick in. The utility is Ameren IP.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Average rate that I pay to PG&E, Pacific Graft & Extortion but they refer to themselves as Pacific Gas & Electric is $0.1486 / kWh.
Yes, but as per usual here in California, nothing is that simple.

Total Energy Rates ($ per kWh)
Baseline Usage $0.11531 (R)
101% - 130% of Baseline $0.13109 (R)
131% - 200% of Baseline $0.25974 (I)
201% - 300% of Baseline $0.37866 (I)
Over 300% of Baseline $0.44098 (I)

"Baseline Usage" is another complex variable that ranges across 10 "Territories", 2 seasons (Summer and Winter) and 2 "codes" which are difficult to understand. But the baselines range from 9.6kWH/Day to 35kWH/Day.

I don't know what the (I) and (R) notations mean. Bottom line though, you can be in one Territory and your neighbor in another, but pay a LOT more that him. I think the Territories have more to do with economic status that anything else, i.e. if they think you can afford it, they give you a lower Baseline.

jeremysterling

Reliant Energy Resi rate = 9.0 cents/kWh

Austin Energy (City owned utility) =

3.55? per kWh, first 500 kWh

6.02? per kWh, for all kWh over 500

Last edited:

peter d

Yes, but as per usual here in California, nothing is that simple.

Total Energy Rates ($ per kWh)
Baseline Usage $0.11531 (R)
101% - 130% of Baseline $0.13109 (R)
131% - 200% of Baseline $0.25974 (I)
201% - 300% of Baseline $0.37866 (I)
Over 300% of Baseline $0.44098 (I)

I'd love to see the computer program and system that keeps track of all THAT. :eek:

iMuse97

NW Indiana

NW Indiana

Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) rates are $0.1155 year round, I think. They have asked for something like a 20% increase over the next two or three years. Haven't heard if they'll get it.

mivey

I'd love to see the computer program and system that keeps track of all THAT. :eek:
No eek. It is just math and computers are great at that. The worst part is getting the billing techs to program the rates and tables correctly. Once you cross that hurdle, it's just storage space and number crunching.

For 30 minute interval data, each customer would have 17.5k data points representing the baseline for the whole year (that is practically nothing in a computer's world). Even with 50,000 customers you would be storing less than 1 billion data points. Database programs can routinely crunch tables with billions of data points.

That would not be done by hand, and you would be practically limited to maybe a hundred or so customers if you wanted to crunch the numbers in a spreadsheet (they don't crunch large data sets very fast). But this is really small potatoes for a database and would not take up a lot of resources (I could easily do this on a small laptop or even a small hand-held computer).

mivey

Average costs per state and region. Separated by residential, commercial, and industrial.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_b.html
This data is based on a sample set of about 350 out of the over 3500 utilities across the US and is a fair indicator of how the costs are generally moving. You can see if your utility is included in the monthly sample data set by looking at the data here:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/page/eia826.html

Some utilities have seen an increase in costs lately while some have seen a decrease as it depends on your utility's generation/supply portfolio. Your specific utility may not follow the general trend for your state or area, but the data for all utilities is not available until much later in the year.

See post #12 to get 2007 data for your utility. The 2008 data for each utility was just filed at the end of April and will not be available until close to the end of this year, early next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.