Back Stab Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject

On the subject

of failing devices/connections, My experience with Decora style devices has been very negative. They seem to fail (by falling apart) way, way, way more often than standard style devices. This seems to be especially true if they have been backstabbed. The yoke seperates from the device, or they just crack apart. I don't offer that style to my customers unless they ask for them.

Have any of you noticed these "wonderful" occurences ?

TwinCitySparky

I've always suspected that its simply the general humidity level of a given region that effects the failure rate of backstab devices.

That might explain the huge disparity of results we continually see here.

ohm

of failing devices/connections, My experience with Decora style devices has been very negative. They seem to fail (by falling apart) way, way, way more often than standard style devices. This seems to be especially true if they have been backstabbed. The yoke seperates from the device, or they just crack apart. I don't offer that style to my customers unless they ask for them.

Have any of you noticed these "wonderful" occurences ?

Might be because they're larger than most devices (but still only count for 2 conductors/yoke) and have to be cramed or drawn into the box with the screws, especially if solid wire done w/o pigtails. Maurice

daleuger

The how-to has been discussed ad nauseum here, from the ring of insulation to the reverse twisting.

I get good results merely pinching the loop shut with needle-nose pliers while tightening the screw.

I leave a bit of insulation on the end of the wire and twist it. No simultaneously coordinating two tools.

Ohmy

I leave a bit of insulation on the end of the wire and twist it. No simultaneously coordinating two tools.

I think the guys doing the back stabbing don't do enough service work to know. Also, back stabbing is a latent defect. It takes time to develop and burn the house down. By the time the outlet burns, the electrician who did it can't even remember if he was the one that trimmed that house out.

I could go out today and back stabb 100 houses and make it a full year without a warranty claim. Give those same houses ten years and they will start smoking.

Here is an interesting question. How many folks that back stab ofter a lifetime warranty on installations?

480sparky

I think the guys doing the back stabbing don't do enough service work to know. Also, back stabbing is a latent defect. It takes time to develop and burn the house down. By the time the outlet burns, the electrician who did it can't even remember if he was the one that trimmed that house out.

I could go out today and back stabb 100 houses and make it a full year without a warranty claim. Give those same houses ten years and they will start smoking.

Here is an interesting question. How many folks that back stab ofter a lifetime warranty on installations?

I did a service call in an apartment building last year, and quickly found a bad backstab in a receptacle. I pigtailed it can went to tell the owner (office next door) what I found. He was surprised. He had the place built in 1968, and knows I was the first one to ever work on the electrical in that unit. It took 40 years for a bad backstab to manifest itself.

Ohmy

I did a service call in an apartment building last year, and quickly found a bad backstab in a receptacle. I pigtailed it can went to tell the owner (office next door) what I found. He was surprised. He had the place built in 1968, and knows I was the first one to ever work on the electrical in that unit. It took 40 years for a bad backstab to manifest itself.

I believe it.... Did you sell him on re-tapping all the devices?

480sparky

I believe it.... Did you sell him on re-tapping all the devices?

Couldn't. He was in the process of selling the place to retire, and didn't want to put any more money into it.

I did put some business cards in the panels, but the new owner hasn't called me.

Devices appeared to be manufactured at a higher quality than they are today.

Mr.Sparkle

I backstab and have nothing against it at all if done properly. (As in proper stripping of exposed wire length prior to insertion.)

Sure I have replaced a failed device that was backstabbed, and I have done the same for one using the screws as well.

I also use and LOVE the wago's in the Halo cans nowadays.

It is absolute silliness if you really think one is inferior to the other, they can both be screwed equally in their own respective ways.

daleuger

That's screw wrapping not wire stabbing

480sparky

......... How many folks that back stab ofter a lifetime warranty on installations?

Who would offer a lifetime warranty on any electrical work?
mw_hmmm.gif

Mr.Sparkle

Have you tried them in devices?

Yep, used them in splicing receptacles in two side by side houses about two years ago. I did every bedroom and living room in 3-wire because the builder wanted switched receptacles everywhere. I feel it drastically cut down the time it took me to splice all of them, but to be honest I did not keep time or anything.

And for the record, I will say that a garbage device is a garbage device and I will bet that the majority of these "failed" backstabs are devices similar to what you will find in catalogs such as Sunstar Lighting, been there done that, pure garbage.

I heard there gonna outlaw front stabbing too, no more plugging stuff in, now people are gonna have to screw your their plugs to the receptacles. I'm working on a patent as I type.

glene77is

The more expensive Hubbles have a back stab of sorts in that you can install the wire from the back but you are screwing it down in the terminal. These connections are very reliable. But the receptacles are expensive.

IOAV,
I use something like the Hubble, because I don't like return calls.
This new hard drawn copper wire is tough, sometimes,
and the push-in with Screw-down clamps solves the problem.

On small repairs, the cost is only for a half-dozen, and it gets billed.

glene77is

ohm

According to UL a crimp connector is not required for a wire binding screw type of receptacle terminal when connecting stranded wire.

I do know that some manufactures do no allow the use of standed wire on their wire binding screw terminals.

Chris

Chris I got w/ P&S tech support:

Cc: Steve.Rood@pass-seymour.com; Scott.Bausch@pass-seymour.com
Subject: Re: UL Listing

Maurice, page B - 17 needs to be corrected to solid or stranded.
As you said File E140596 - RTRT states:

Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back
wired
clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building
wires.

raider1

Staff member
Chris I got w/ P&S tech support:

Cc: Steve.Rood@pass-seymour.com; Scott.Bausch@pass-seymour.com
Subject: Re: UL Listing

Maurice, page B - 17 needs to be corrected to solid or stranded.
As you said File E140596 - RTRT states:

Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back
wired
clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building
wires.

I will be interested to see what their reply will be, thanks.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.