am/fm radio in class 1 div 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balmo

i just want to question my safety officer. she saw that i was listening to music in a small fm radio in a class 1 div 1 environment. is that not allowed?

also, designating my work area as class 1 div 1 is somewhat questionable. i work with mixers mixing resin, some of which have solvents but all are in a controlled environment. should this be class 1 div 2?

thank you

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The radio is probably not permitted in either Class I, Division 1 or Division 2.
I do have an issue with letting someone work in a Class I, Divison 1 area unless there is some type of warning to tell you when to get out or unless you are on supplied air. The reason I say this is because for many flammables, you have an IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) atmosphere at 10 to 20% of LEL (lower explosive limit).

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you use acetone. I would say yes. Some of the solvents are extremely flamable.
That is a good example of what I am talking about. The LEL is 2.5% or 25,000 parts per million. The STEL (short term exposure limit) is 750 parts per million. NIOSH says acetone is IDLH at 2,500 parts per million. That is 10% of the level required for the area to be classified Divison 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.