Sending this to the realtor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
OK, I'll go first. Buck, 31 seconds in you state the meter base is not grounded due to the fact that the lateral has pulled loose. This is incorrect as the grounded conductor from POCO is still bonded to the can. The issue here would be if the lateral is not metallic to POCO tranny with a bonding bushing at the POCO tranny, the conduit could become energized.

mkgrady

I think the video would only have value if your written estimate addresses each issue, what you intend to do for each and how much you are proposing to charge.

If you sent me that video and a lump sum cost to fix I wouldn't be sure what work you intended to do. Since your real estate agent isn't an electrician I doubt he or she will have any idea at all what you plan to do

resistance

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I say stay away from submitting any "Free" estimates to realtors---if the estimate is to close a deal!!

480sparky

I think a written report with photos inserted would be much more valuable. You don't need a computer to read it once it's printed out. Some parts of the video are just shots of a wall. And some parts make me think I'm on a roller coaster.

Some spelling and grammer errors.

"This is feed with a....."

"Any outlet above a baseboard heater. If you are not useing the heater. Remove the heater not the outlet."

2-location switch? Spider web? Well wire?

"Well-pump wire" just can't 'be replaced with romex'.

'Non-attached garage' should be 'detached garage'.
'Outlet' should be 'receptacle'.

resistance

I think a written report with photos inserted would be much more valuable. You don't need a computer to read it once it's printed out. Some parts of the video are just shots of a wall. And some parts make me think I'm on a roller coaster.

Some spelling and grammer errors.

"This is feed with a....."

"Any outlet above a baseboard heater. If you are not useing the heater. Remove the heater not the outlet."

2-location switch? Spider web? Well wire?

"Well-pump wire" just can't 'be replaced with romex'.

'Non-attached garage' should be 'detached garage'.
'Outlet' should be 'receptacle'.

I agree 100%! I actually started giving my input, but I decided to cancel--seeing that my input may have been to harsh. I believe 480 said what I wanted to say!

ohm

I'm getting this ready to send to the realtor along with an estimate for repairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtbHHr4MbI

If your inspection is on U Tube that might make a customer mad and prevent the house from selling , even if the corrections were made.

I agree with others snapshots of the trouble areas should be sent with your estimate and a list of what you're going to correct.

The video is a good memory jogger for you.

Un-corrected that place is a ticking time bomb and just imagine what's behind the sheetrock!

active1

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I say stay away from submitting any "Free" estimates to realtors---if the estimate is to close a deal!!

Yes. Realitors, mortage companies, home buyers, and home sellers. If it is a new customer with a for sale sign in the yard it's a warning you just waisted a trip out there. I have gotton tricked into going to some of those deals. This is what I would do if I was already there. Look at things and make notes. Give them a verbal quote. They will almost always asked for a written one because that's needed for negotiations and credits at the sale. It's easier to get paid for this from a home owner because your there and the review is done.

Also keep in mind that some of these lead to more phone calls back a forth because one item may be disputed. Such as a home inspector says XX. He is wrong. You write down that XX meets code. They call you next week on it. You look up, copy the article, and fax it with a short letter. Or they call you at the closing asking if you fixed something etc. I have had someone that only wanted an estimate but they lied and said the work was done at closing. It was caught at the table that it was not an invoice but just an estimate.

IMO I would not submit the video. It is good for your record. If there was a dispute later about an item it would be great to have. But I would keep it simple. X amount to fix this item with a total of this to fix everything. A note about how the repairs are needed immeditaly and the house is unsafe to cover yourself.

ohm

Yes. Realitors, mortage companies, home buyers, and home sellers. If it is a new customer with a for sale sign in the yard it's a warning you just waisted a trip out there. I have gotton tricked into going to some of those deals. This is what I would do if I was already there. Look at things and make notes. Give them a verbal quote. They will almost always asked for a written one because that's needed for negotiations and credits at the sale. It's easier to get paid for this from a home owner because your there and the review is done.

Also keep in mind that some of these lead to more phone calls back a forth because one item may be disputed. Such as a home inspector says XX. He is wrong. You write down that XX meets code. They call you next week on it. You look up, copy the article, and fax it with a short letter. Or they call you at the closing asking if you fixed something etc. I have had someone that only wanted an estimate but they lied and said the work was done at closing. It was caught at the table that it was not an invoice but just an estimate.

IMO I would not submit the video. It is good for your record. If there was a dispute later about an item it would be great to have. But I would keep it simple. X amount to fix this item with a total of this to fix everything. A note about how the repairs are needed immeditaly and the house is unsafe to cover yourself.

Great advice active1 I got a real estate license to help my wife and everything you said will generate business for yourself and keep you out of court.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not to slam your video but IMO the quality detracts from what you're trying to depict. It's actually hard to watch. I know they're not expecting a pro quality video production but this is not doing a very good job of presenting the problems. Also as others have said, I would concentrate on using the proper terminology and code references. And I agree with 480Sparky that some high quality photo's would do a better job at getting your points across.

Buck Parrish

Thanks for your responses. I did send a list with the video.
I like the ideal of snap shots (photos)
I supose I could email them , too.

Just curious if "fead" is even a word.
For example - This panel is feed from the main panel.
I know some thing is wrong with that.

Should it read - "The main panel "feeds" this panel".
When your talking "This panel is fead from the main panel" sounds normal. But not when you write it.
I am from the South:wink:
How do y'all say or write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.