What does 408.36(A) mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
NEC 408.36(A) says: Snap Switches Rated at 30 Amperes or Less. Panelboards equipped with snap switches rated at 30 amperes or less shall have overcurrent protection of 200 amperes or less.

Does this mean if you have a panel with a 400A main, it can not have switch type branch circuit breakers in 15, 20, and 30 amp sizes? I think I've seen that, so what else could this mean (or have I seen code violations)?

What prompted this question was whether a double pole 20A breaker could be one of the six "main" breakers in a split bus panel. In this case, there'd be no overcurrent protection upstream of the circuit breaker. So are breakers acting as a service main required to be 35A or larger?

ibew441dc

NEC 408.36(A) says: Snap Switches Rated at 30 Amperes or Less. Panelboards equipped with snap switches rated at 30 amperes or less shall have overcurrent protection of 200 amperes or less.

Does this mean if you have a panel with a 400A main, it can not have switch type branch circuit breakers in 15, 20, and 30 amp sizes? I think I've seen that, so what else could this mean (or have I seen code violations)?

What prompted this question was whether a double pole 20A breaker could be one of the six "main" breakers in a split bus panel. In this case, there'd be no overcurrent protection upstream of the circuit breaker. So are breakers acting as a service main required to be 35A or larger?

:smile:You may find this thread useful http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=103420

This is what they are speaking about.
This one is still active, it is in an old hospital.
Phelps-Nadler12908110-1.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Excellent picture Pierre. I believe Cutler Hammer is still making a version of this panel, I don't have a current picture of one but someone had posted it last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.