switching with mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I know the answer to this I am sure, but I am having a senior moment. If I am using a 12/3 w/ground MC cable for a 2 gang switch. How does the makeup go? Black=hot to switch, red=switch A, white is switch B? maybe...?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know the answer to this I am sure, but I am having a senior moment. If I am using a 12/3 w/ground MC cable for a 2 gang switch. How does the makeup go? Black=hot to switch, red=switch A, white is switch B? maybe...?
Hint: Think about what you'd do if it was a 12/2 to a single switch.

480sparky

Not enough information. Are you switching two loads with a single 12/3? Is one load switched and another one always hot? Is this the only MC in the box?

ctmike

MMM what is a 2 gang switch i wonder

electricalperson

if you have 2 switches 1 wire can be a feed and the other 2 are your switchlegs to the lights if they are dead end. if they are a 12/3 switchleg for switching 2 ballasts for example, the white is your neutral and the black is one switch and the red is the other. feed is a 12/2 in the box

480sparky

He's talking about a switch loop, or rather, a pair of switch loops using a single 3-conductor cable.

One feed, two legs, no neutral, only cable to box.

Mark the white as an ungrounded at both ends [200.7(C)(2)]. Pigtail it to both switches. Red & black are the return switch loops.

laketime

What I mean is a box with two single pole switches. switch a-switches 1 set of lights, switch b-switches a 2nd set of lights. I want to feed/return the switches with a 12/3. so i would have one black, one red, and one white in the switch box. which wire would i use for a hot and which for the switch legs? 200(c)(2) seems to say i would use the white as a hot to the switch (have to identify it at each end) and the red and the blacks for the switch legs.

480sparky

..........200(c)(2) seems to say i would use the white as a hot to the switch (have to identify it at each end) and the red and the blacks for the switch legs.

That sure sounds familiar.
wink3.gif

raider1

Staff member
What I mean is a box with two single pole switches. switch a-switches 1 set of lights, switch b-switches a 2nd set of lights. I want to feed/return the switches with a 12/3. so i would have one black, one red, and one white in the switch box. which wire would i use for a hot and which for the switch legs? 200(c)(2) seems to say i would use the white as a hot to the switch (have to identify it at each end) and the red and the blacks for the switch legs.

Yes, you are correct. The white would be required to be the feed to the switches and be re-identified at both locations.

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . i would use the white as a hot to the switch (have to identify it at each end) and the red and the blacks for the switch legs.
Correctamundo. I prefer using blue when recoloring white, just to avoid two blacks (or reds).

Most people use tape, but I prefer using a Sharpie, which makes color selection easier, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.