How much do you pay to register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwnut

our town just passed a law that all contractors register with them. It seams every town or enity is passsing this law. So every place we work is starting to charge $100.00. I think with the tough times it is a way for them to make a few bucks. I can see both side of it but $100.00?? it is starting to add up.The last one does not even have any inspections! just want my money! don't mind if i got something for my money. what do you think?

ceb58

The townships I work in require you to have a currant bussness license before they will issue a permit. $50.00 each town. It's just another way of raising revenue. Glade it's tax deductible:D

Occupation
Inspector
our town just passed a law that all contractors register with them. It seams every town or enity is passsing this law. So every place we work is starting to charge $100.00. I think with the tough times it is a way for them to make a few bucks. I can see both side of it but $100.00?? it is starting to add up.The last one does not even have any inspections! just want my money! don't mind if i got something for my money. what do you think?

I pay a 2.2% tax as my registration fee on all earned income. I would love to pay only $100.00.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I pay nothing except $100 to my home county. All towns here are required by law to accept the occupational tax license of the county you're based in; I just have to fax a copy to each city. I get a license from them, but pay nothing for it.

There is one very small town that I work in occasionally that charges $50 for what is basically a business license, but they give it another name to keep it from being illegal.

Another town tried to charge me $200 for a city-issued electrical license. Called the state, went back two days later and saw a stack of refund checks being sent out to every contractor they charged.

Minuteman

Each town here has a registration fee for EC's. A few have them for J'men as well. Most are more expensive for the initial registration, then slightly less for to renew.

We did some work in a town earlier this year that was our first time to work in. It was $200 for the EC and $100 for EACH J'man. That's $400 just to work, not counting the permit that was based on the openings. All toll, I had to drop almost $675 on my company credit card - BEFORE we ever turned a tap!

The other odd thing is, some of the town's registrations expire in December, some in June.

Okie Sparky

We did some work in a town earlier this year that was our first time to work in. It was $200 for the EC and $100 for EACH J'man. That's $400 just to work, not counting the permit that was based on the openings. All toll, I had to drop almost $675 on my company credit card - BEFORE we ever turned a tap!

Ummm, Minuteman, you just got took to the cleaners. By state law a town or city can only charge the contractor for a registration fee. Just registered in a city about 45 miles away. I asked what about my journeymen. She said we don't charge for them in fact by state law we can't charge for them, but they will just need to register, no fee. Two different cities code enforcement dept. have told me this. This law has been in effect for several years. But last summer I got "hit" with a registration fee for a journeyman in another city before I knew about this law.:confused: I'm not sure where to find out more info. about this, as the CIB website has everything on it but what you need. Maybe call somebody at the CIB offices. They are usually helpful and the phone call might be worth $200 or so. If they don't know about this law they can put you in touch with someone who does.

florinm16

Los Angeles charge 150.00 , El Segundo 168.00, Manhattan Beach 300.00, Fontana 100.00. I saw few cities will gone have from July 1 a half year business licence.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Towns around here charge about $50-$100 a year for local contracting registration. Fortunately licensed plumbers, electricians and I believe general contractors are exempt from any local contracting registry fees. IMO it would be complete thievery for every town or city to have their own registration fees when we have already statewide licensing, bonding and insurance requirements for contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.