Replaciing the GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm

Has anyone heard of a good way to replace a GEC on a live SE panel. I always turn off the main(s) but wonder if there could still be a danger since the ground/neutral is still connected to the POCO transformer.

JohnJ0906

Check with an amprobe.
There could be current from a different building that is served from the same xfmr.
If, say, 2 houses on the same xfmr, with metallic water - if you are in house one working, and house two has neutral issues, some or all of house two's neutral current will be using the metal water piping and the GEC of house one to return to the xfmr X0.

ohm

Check with an amprobe.
There could be current from a different building that is served from the same xfmr.
If, say, 2 houses on the same xfmr, with metallic water - if you are in house one working, and house two has neutral issues, some or all of house two's neutral current will be using the metal water piping and the GEC of house one to return to the xfmr X0.

Good idea John, I also just thought battery jumpers cables might be useful for the few minutes during a switchover, if I couldn't do what Buck suggested.

I've heard rumors electricians have been hurt handling a loose EGC that was carrying fault current.

Status
Not open for further replies.