Settle the debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

When ambients and loads are not an issue, why not leave the sheathing on? It's all the more cover. Look at 220/221's application. I would have definetly left it there. I don't see a need to strip upon entry. Granted, I am not a construction guy, and I see where you're coming from stating traditionally it's stripped on entry, I dig that, but my point is it's not necessary. Does it look like garbage, well, maybe to some of you 'cause of what you're used to. I just asked because I was told I was wrong.

For those of you who said honestly it looked hacky, I appreciate the honesty and I agree with you. An extra $80 for the AFCI's? That's a crock. I just got ticked off at the end of the deal.

A hack? Yeah, I guess so.

M. D.

Larry ,...I think ne meant all ,.. as in encompassing all the wiring pertaining to a dwelling ,.. or were you just being funny

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
it could be made, our POCO has 9, 7, 5 awg's made for them, I was told it was to stop theft? not sure but if it shows up in a scrap yard, they know:confused:

One of our POCO's requires the use of a 10 point meter cable that's made up of 10-#9 AWG conductors. Try to buy that at home depot. :rolleyes:

SAC

I don't buy the whole "looks messy" thing - it just sounds like "we don't do it that way" to me. I see merit in leaving the cable sheath intact inside the enclosure in order to explicitly maintain the relationship between the conductors of the circuit as close as is reasonable to their termination points, and prevent them from becoming indistinguishable from the other 40 circuits that ultimately get "jammed" in there. It also helps to reduce the "tangle" of all those free conductors that tends to occur as they are seemingly randomly routed around the enclosure.

Anyone have non-aesthetic objections to leaving the sheath intact inside the enclosure?

daleuger

I don't buy the whole "looks messy" thing - it just sounds like "we don't do it that way" to me. I see merit in leaving the cable sheath intact inside the enclosure in order to explicitly maintain the relationship between the conductors of the circuit as close as is reasonable to their termination points, and prevent them from becoming indistinguishable from the other 40 circuits that ultimately get "jammed" in there. It also helps to reduce the "tangle" of all those free conductors that tends to occur as they are seemingly randomly routed around the enclosure.

Anyone have non-aesthetic objections to leaving the sheath intact inside the enclosure?

Personally I don't think it's a bad idea, just didn't quite have the words to explain the why but you make a more than valid point. I may even consider doing my next couple that way and see how I like it. Worst case I don't like how it looks and strip it back to the entry with my trusty utility knife.

hillbilly

sheathing001.jpg
[/IMG]

Upside down.

I've yet to see a installation that didn't get picked apart on this forum, if the installer was bold enough to submit a picture.:D

With that said.......:smile:

You need to go back and install the bonding screw.
Also, the NMB needs to be stapled within 12" of the panel.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.