Gfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

teco

Hi,

Okay I haven't done any residential work for years. I was ask to look at the wiring in a cottage a friend might buy. Shouldn't my fluke meter trip a GFI rec when testing from hot to ground? I know a GFI measures current from hot to neutral so I'm wondering why I'm not tripping it out to ground?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The resistance of a DMM is too high to cause a large enough current imbalance to trip the GFCI. Try an old solenoid type tested and it will trip.

cadpoint

Hi,

Okay I haven't done any residential work for years. I was ask to look at the wiring in a cottage a friend might buy. Shouldn't my fluke meter trip a GFI rec when testing from hot to ground? I know a GFI measures current from hot to neutral so I'm wondering why I'm not tripping it out to ground?

I'm at a lost to think that, this is a measuring device, as to how it will trip a GFCI in any respects! It's a Meter!

A wiggy is still an inference to some resistance of the coils as one applies
some avaiable measure of the resistance of this colils, your not injecting any measure that will induce a reading your reading the coils based on the power that one sees, OK, I don't get it!

resistance

Hi,

I sometime use my analog to trip GFCI's (Hot to grounding slot), why don't you just push the test button, or use a plug tester, and be done with it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm at a lost to think that, this is a measuring device, as to how it will trip a GFCI in any respects! It's a Meter!

A wiggy is still an inference to some resistance of the coils as one applies
some avaiable measure of the resistance of this colils, your not injecting any measure that will induce a reading your reading the coils based on the power that one sees, OK, I don't get it!

He asked about testing hot to ground. If you're testing from hot to ground the current flow is outside of the typical hot-neutral current flow monitored by the GFCI circuitry. If that current flow between hot-ground is above 4-6 ma the gfci will trip.

teco

He asked about testing hot to ground. If you're testing from hot to ground the current flow is outside of the typical hot-neutral current flow monitored by the GFCI circuitry. If that current flow between hot-ground is above 4-6 ma the gfci will trip.

Thank you infinity. Obviously one could push the test button. I was just surprised that its been that long since i tested a gfi to ground i was so use to tripping it with my tester. Funny how one takes things for granted. Using a wiggy seems so long ago.

iMuse97

Thank you infinity. Obviously one could push the test button. I was just surprised that its been that long since i tested a gfi to ground i was so use to tripping it with my tester. Funny how one takes things for granted. Using a wiggy seems so long ago.

I use it every day for basic testing. Never fails. That's key.

Status
Not open for further replies.