egregious violation pics . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
got a call; something wasn't working right, they need me to take a look.

so here's what we're looking at.

a mobile home moved in to where a mobile home sat years ago. they used the existing pedestal that was still connected and serving a small structure by a pond.

permits have been purchased, but the inspection has not been called in.

-- the following was not done by a licensed EC, or by anyone with actual electrical experience --

Here's the first thing I see upon arrival;

50e08a0e4acf.jpg

upon closer inspection . . .

168b4d17e0c3.jpg

Lets follow this UF and see where it leads us . . .

Ah, here it is; spliced under the edge of the house to 6-2NM

7c32b311284c.jpg

Now continue on following the 6-2;

Its connected to this disconnect. I see 10-2 feeding the hvac, but where's that other one going?

e0d85a6ceceb.jpg

holy cow! the 10-2 was again spliced under the deck to a pump wire, and I follow it here . . .

eadef9475459.jpg

131e11c5e815.jpg

968eb32323e6.jpg

221650627ea1.jpg

They initially tried to connect the house to that aluminum triplex you saw in the first pic, but found that one leg only had 40v. So they tapped the one leg w/ 120v and the neutral from the triplex, and got their other leg from the old well pump wire that is tapped from the AC disco. It was by pure happenstance they ended up on opposite legs to get 240v.

The problem now was they were getting 120v (from the pump wire) and 50v on the other leg.

So on the triplex we now have 40v to ground and 50v to ground, 90v line-to-line.

One of the other conductors from the old well pump wire was hot, and just lying on the ground. The 4/0 tapped onto it had several cuts and sections w/ the insulation stripped off, just lying across the ground running to the house.

At the house, their is a #6 green conductor running from the grounding bar to the outside, and isn't connected anywhere, but the neutrals and grounds are bonded somewhere in the house (not at the panel).

The POCO will be here tuesday to cut power so we can rebuild the whole thing properly.

I was so uncomfortable just laying eyes on this.

iMuse97

An electrician did that?

An electrician did that?

Where did they get those cool splicers?!!!

Was this to feed the trailer or was someone trying to power up their electric fence?

Thanks for the great laugh after a long day!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
thats some of the worst hack work ive seen. did you cut the power?

it wasn't mine to cut. even considering the seriousness of the violation, i believe it would be illegal for me to lock-out the panel or disconnect the wiring without authorization from the homeowner.

the only thing i saw fit to do was advise the HO of the dangers involved, and highlight the fact it could burn at any minute.

they took it under advisement, and said they'd had it running completely off the old pump wire at one time with no problems. :rolleyes:

we are scheduled to build a new service on tuesday.

i know the first impulse is to tear everything out for their own protection, but i can't see that as a legal option. if this were a multi-family structure, or an instance where i felt other lives besides the homeowner's were in danger, i believe i would've taken further steps to get a disconnect. but as it stands, the home sits in the middle of a field with no one around, and i can't see them endangering anyone but themselves. then again i may be completely wrong. what would you do? specifically, what would be your next move; ahj, poco?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I fI didn't see it, it would be hard to believe. WOW..... I know there are too many violation to even begin to list but who uses the uninsulated ground and a CCC? Seriously a someone with zero knowledge could have wired that with pure luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.