pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Christopherson

its even worse when somebody slow gets into the lane and i have to hit the breaks and yell swear words
As long as you guys broached the topic, the one that has really been bugging me lately is how almost everyone creeps forward at a red light after being stopped for a while. If you (they) wanted to be farther forward, why not stop farther forward. (I never really paid attention to this except for when I was on my motorcycle, where creeping is less convenient.)

electricalperson

As long as you guys broached the topic, the one that has really been bugging me lately is how almost everyone creeps forward at a red light after being stopped for a while. If you (they) wanted to be farther forward, why not stop farther forward. (I never really paid attention to this except for when I was on my motorcycle, where creeping is less convenient.)

i hate that too. when i see that i think to myself "will the half a second really make a difference? "

radiopet

My Pet Peeves-

1.) Being called for an Inspection and job is obviously not ready. Boxes not cut in and draft stopping incomplete.
2.) Being called for a final fire alarm inspection test and no ROC and have it not function right halfway through because they did not provide me with a pre-device check report so the day is scrapped.....to start it all over again another day.
3.) Being told I am promoted but we have no funds to increase any pay.
4.) Being called to an inspection and no one speaks english and no approved plans on site, what a waste of time.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My Pet Peeves-

1.) Being called for an Inspection and job is obviously not ready. Boxes not cut in and draft stopping incomplete.
2.) Being called for a final fire alarm inspection test and no ROC and have it not function right halfway through because they did not provide me with a pre-device check report so the day is scrapped.....to start it all over again another day.
3.) Being told I am promoted but we have no funds to increase any pay.
4.) Being called to an inspection and no one speaks english and no approved plans on site, what a waste of time.
Welcome to Richmond! :D

JJWalecka

1. Journey men who get in a big hurry and do shoddy work (if you don't have the time to do the job right the first time. When are you going to find the time to do it again?)

2. Loose lock nuts and fittings.

3.Cluttered job sites.

4.Not putting power tools back in their cases. (I paid extra for that case guys, let's use it)

I agree and also dislike
1 Open uncover conduits emerging from grade. A bit of duct tape just makes sense.

2 Devices installed in handi boxes

3 Arrogant know it alls?no one knows everything. People have strengths and weakness.

4 People standing around or extensive talking about nonworking related subjects

5 Lack of coordination between trades

6 Another pet peeve is people that complain about things that will not help the situation. We all have bad days but concentrate on the solution not the problem

7 Stranded wire around devices terminals. I prefer stakons or a piece of solid wire spliced on to the stranded conductor

JJ

dreamsville

Conduit runs that are not straight...or at an angle from vertical, horizontal etc. And the conduit straps on the bottom side...oops I better not start that up again. :D

westernexplorer

I have some many its hard to know where to start....LOL.

1. I hate guys who cut tie-wraps off with dikes inside switchgear or control cabinets, instead of using a tie-wrap cutter or twisting them off, so you don't leave hundreds of little razor blades behind to tear-up the hands of the next guy.
2. I hate guys who put fuses in disconnects so the writing is turned to the backside, so you have to pull the fuse out to read it....
Just a few that get me going......LOL

tkb

The terms;
Disco for a disconnect.
Roping a house instead or wiring or cabling a house. This must be used by cowboy electricians.

masterinbama

Contractors that call at 6 AM on Monday and say "that addition you bid 3 weeks ago is ready for a rough in, you need to get it done today because the inspector is coming tomorrow at 8 AM"

This just now happened to me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Contractors that call at 6 AM on Monday and say "that addition you bid 3 weeks ago is ready for a rough in, you need to get it done today because the inspector is coming tomorrow at 8 AM"

This just now happened to me.
That happened to me once, too. I explained in non-forum-compliant terms that nobody requests my inspections except me.

I also explained to the GC that he couldn't afford my do-it-in-a-day surcharge, and that suprise scheduling wasn't acceptable.

Added: I had him cancel the inspection himself, and it never happened again. I recommend the same course of action.

Last edited:

JJWalecka

I have some many its hard to know where to start....LOL.

1. I hate guys who cut tie-wraps off with dikes inside switchgear or control cabinets, instead of using a tie-wrap cutter or twisting them off, so you don't leave hundreds of little razor blades behind to tear-up the hands of the next guy.

Hate is a strong word but I agree that twisting is a better install.

JJ

R Bob

Well I don't like it either but I will do it when it eliminates more bends in the raceway. Usually I will cover that area with metal then make my KO so the connector still hits solid metal all and there are no open spaces where KOs fall out.

Same here.
I frequently use a 1900/11B blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.