Karl H

I've been using Polaris for years. I would never even consider using
split bolts unless thats all I had at the time. Which would never happen
since I don't even stock them anymore.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
I'm late onto this thread, but it seems to still be open:

In large older apartment buildings, such as in NYC or other cities, the meter banks for 30 or more apartments are typically bugged off of, say, 500 kcmil laterals, (may be more or less) coming off of a large disconnect which is fed from the street.

In upgrading service for a commercial space (or individual apartment in some cases) we have to use split bolts to feed from the laterals. This must be done hot. I have looked at Polaris and Illco products but there doesn't seem to be a comparable product to splice onto a conductor without cutting it. The newer installations have tappable bus bars, or phase blocks. However, in these older
installations we are stuck with split bolts. (There is a product called locally a "bug-bite" which pierces the insulation and
taps in that fashion, but I don't trust it--not sure if accepted by AHJ)

Last edited:

satcom

I've been using Polaris for years. I would never even consider using
split bolts unless thats all I had at the time. Which would never happen
since I don't even stock them anymore.

We love it when they use the 2 screw Polaris connector for service drop connectors, they get plenty of work for us, the first cold snap we get out split bolts and replace them, and gain a new customer.

Power Tech

In 1973 on a Monday at 4:30 pm, my father and I were sorting parts in the garage.

I found this copper block thing with 4 allan screws (but no insulation).

What's this and where does it go?

That is an in line splice connector. Never use them, they fail.

Here they are again, I use them.

satcom

Interested in how / why they fail in cold weather?

All I can tell you is the cable pulls out of them, there is nothing like a spilt bolt or crimped connection, I hope they keep using them, more work for us, what we do notice, is the first cold snap we get a rash of calls and those connectors are a big part of the calls.

Power Tech

All I can tell you is the cable pulls out of them, there is nothing like a spilt bolt or crimped connection, I hope they keep using them, more work for us, what we do notice, is the first cold snap we get a rash of calls and those connectors are a big part of the calls.

He served his apprenticeship in Minnesota.

The real wold is a better laboratory. I always here him in the back of my head (they fail) when I tighten one down.

TOOL_5150

A polaris connector is no more than a plastic covered bus bar. Are you telling me that conductors pull out of a bus bar in cold climate too?

I think you are off your rocker. If all you can tell is is: "All I can tell you is the cable pulls out of them, there is nothing like a spilt bolt or crimped connection," and have no proof they cant hold up to cold weather, is sounds more like you prefer to use the old outdated method of split bolts, and are not interested in using newer, better products.

~Matt

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Interested in how / why they fail in cold weather?
Water gets inside the tube, between the butted conductor ends, and expands when it freezes, moving the softer of the two wires.

Each thaw/rain/freeze cycle refills the space with more water, and it keeps going until the softer conductor pops free of the end.

Even POCO butt-splice crimps do it. I've seen a couple, and the POCO guys have confirmed it. Compound-filled ones do it less.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for link. One other question that came up in that thread, but
wasn't answered, was what is the limit to number of taps that can be made on one conductor (feeder or svc. lateral) ?
I've never heard of a restriction, but I imagine your load limit would kick in first.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
amen brother:D

sometimes its easier just to cut them off if there is enough slack. usually a person that knows what hes doing does something to make it easy to cut the tape off if needed

one thing i dont like about polaris connectors is sometimes there is space between the conductor and the insulation on the connector and you can see metal inside if the wire is smaller than the largest size wire the connector takes. if they are used on a service drop i wrap them with tape real good to keep the water out.

burndys on the other hand dont let water in and have no gaps where people can get electrocuted on

Brundy's are listed for indoor use only while Polaris connectors actually have a submerged rating.

Since the price of split bolts when up to near 5 bucks a pop I decided to start using Polaris. The problem is that none of the supply houses stock them and it takes a week to get them via order through our local All-Phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.